Austin Halleck 420

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
I purchased a used AH 420 with a beautiful curly maple stock last spring and just got around to getting a scope for it. However, in the mean time I misplaced the owners manual I had downloaded when AH's web site was still up. Anybody got one they could scan and e-mail me? In the mean time, what do I do to remove the bolt and how do I decock the rifle without dry-firing?

mrlnfshr1

I may have the information @ home - I will check when we get back. I am thinking i saved the manual on the hard drive

I do not have a copy on the hard drive and I can not find the paper work at this time...

Do have a specific question I might be able to answer?

what do I do to remove the bolt and how do I decock the rifle without dry-firing?

To de-cock without dry firing.... slide the bolt home - Lower the bolt handle (with the safety off) while pulling the trigger. That will release the hammer as slow as you lower the bolt.

To remove the bolt pull it to the rear then lower the handle - it shoud drop into a detent and then pull the bolt out...

what do I do to remove the bolt and how do I decock the rifle without dry-firing?

To de-cock without dry firing.... slide the bolt home - Lower the bolt handle (with the safety off) while pulling the trigger. That will release the hammer as slow as you lower the bolt.

To remove the bolt pull it to the rear then lower the handle - it shoud drop into a detent and then pull the bolt out...

Thanks for that. I thought I had saved it to the hard drive as well. By the way, what load are you works best in yours

mrlnfshr1

I gotta tell you the two A&H's that I had were shooters. Both of them were the older originals made in MO - not Utah.

My problem is can not remember a load/bullet that did not shoot well from them. Back several years ago - I used one of the AH's to do all on the testing I was doing. It was a terribly reliable gun.

I had two basic hunting loads that I shot from it. For whitetail I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f pushing a MMP HPH-24 with a .451 Nosler 260 grain Partition. For elk everything remained the same except I switched to a .451/300 grain Nosler Partition PP.

Thanks for the info. Will have to try the Noslers as well as the Barnes I planned on using.

Back