Austin & Halleck Hammer Spring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish454

Reaction score
I picked up a new-in-the-box A&H 420 last week and spent some range time yesterday working up a few target loads. The gun shoots great for the most part, but I did get an occasional light hammer strike on the 209 primer that's got me perplexed. I tried adjusting the hammer in and out but that didn't make any difference. I read in a thread somewhere that the hammer spring in the Utah-made guns (which this is) were shorter than the Missouri-made guns. In studying the primers that DID go off, all were just slightly dimpled. This leads me to suspect that I need a heavier spring. Of course, the big question is where to find one? I've checked all the local hardware stores for something close but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Also, after a few shots the primer pocket is so fouled that I can't get a new primer in. Very annoying to have to remove the bolt and clean out the pocket so often. I'm shooting 70 weighed grains of BH 209 (100 gr. volume equivalent), both CCI 209M and Federal 209A primers and a Parker 300 gr. Ballistic Supreme. The gun also came with the Accu-Kleen breech plug but that didn't work at all even using magnum pistol primers.

I really like this gun but unless I can get these issues worked out it's going to end up a safe queen.

Can you put an oring in that primer pocket? the way we do on CVAs? Also, got pics of the hammer spring? That may help in finding something as I'm not familiar with yours.

I just sold one but it did not have that type of ignition. Mine used standard nipples, #11's . I tried Musket caps but had the same problem your having. I didn't know they made a 209 system. You could possibly have a stronger spring made. You also may have to use a drill bit scraper system to clean your primer pockets every so often like the other inlines. You might try a machine shop for the spring modification.

You could possibly contact wolff gunsprings and possibly cross referance a suitable spring for you . They can tell you the info they would need from your old spring .

I'm working on a sealed breech conversion for these (goal is to replicate our Remington 700ML and Ruger 77/50 function). Hope to have the first few examples for customer use this summer.

Austin & Halleck Inline Muzzleloader sealed breech 209 conversion

In developing the conversion I've purchased a few of these rifles. My expertise is limited to my experience with them. I've found two different springs in them and think that I've identified two acceptable replacements.

Call me and we can chat, but I basically have a 3 inch spring and a 4 inch spring.

You can buy them here:

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p81/AH320420OldStlyeMainSpring.html
Yours

Tom
989 795 2526

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a couple of springs from BadgerRidge and am really looking forward to their closed breech conversion! For the time being I placed a 1/2" diameter X 1/2" tall nylon spacer with a 1/4" center hole on top of the spring to add more tension to it. I also tried using Winchester primers to see if they helped. Long story short, gun went off all twenty times I pulled the trigger and the primer pocket stayed relatively clean! I've also ordered a bag of O rings from M-C and will add them to the mix.

Hi, Catfish. I was having the same issue off and on until I saw this video. It gives a specific measurement for how deep to set your firing pin in the bolt- even shows him doing it; all you need is a dial caliper. Anyway, I set mine this way (which differs from the manual) and it fires perfectly every single time now. If the link doesn't work let me know.
Also, let me know if you try it and if it worked for you.
-Huff

Hi, Catfish. I was having the same issue off and on until I saw this video. It gives a specific measurement for how deep to set your firing pin in the bolt- even shows him doing it; all you need is a dial caliper. Anyway, I set mine this way (which differs from the manual) and it fires perfectly every single time now. If the link doesn't work let me know.
Also, let me know if you try it and if it worked for you.
-Huff

That's great! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'll give it a try this afternoon and let you know how it worked.

Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a couple of springs from BadgerRidge and am really looking forward to their closed breech conversion! For the time being I placed a 1/2" diameter X 1/2" tall nylon spacer with a 1/4" center hole on top of the spring to add more tension to it. I also tried using Winchester primers to see if they helped. Long story short, gun went off all twenty times I pulled the trigger and the primer pocket stayed relatively clean! I've also ordered a bag of O rings from M-C and will add them to the mix.
That was gonna be my suggestion, space the spring forward a bit. I did sealed breech on mine. Copied the Savage Ml 10

Back