Austin Halleck .50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd24.5.48

Reaction score
I believe it to be a 320 Austin Halleck bolt action .50. It's a black synthetic stock and it's brand new and never been fired. He's asking $300 for it. I know nothing about Austin Halleck muzzleloaders and want to know if it's worth the price and if they are good muzzleloaders. I'm thinking about getting it for 15 year old son. Any information is greatly appreciated!

I don't know about the inline but their traditional sidelock guns were very good quality and accurate shooters.
Spare parts might be an issue today. To me, that would be the only downside.

I don't know about the inline but their traditional sidelock guns were very good quality and accurate shooters.
Spare parts might be an issue today. To me, that would be the only downside.
What parts would I have to worry about? Breech plug would be a worry if it ever needed replacement but what else?

They were good muzzleloaders but if its just the basic rifle I would say more like 200-250..you would be better off getting him a nice used Knight Disc w/bare primer set up for maybe a bit more money. Not even sure you can get breech plugs for them anymore.
Maybe a nice MK-85 or Wolverine..

Sorry for the confusion. I got off topic and wondered on to sidehammer guns.
No problem I was just wondering what parts may wear out. I had never seen a Austin Halleck muzzleloader and it kinda got me interested about it. Thanks.

They were good muzzleloaders but if its just the basic rifle I would say more like 200-250..you would be better off getting him a nice used Knight Disc w/bare primer set up for maybe a bit more money. Not even sure you can get breech plugs for them anymore.
Maybe a nice MK-85 or Wolverine..
I'm not familiar with Austin Halleck and it just caught my eye because it was something different than usual. I'm not against a Knight or anything else for that matter but I've always been a CVA guy. The Optima Lr is what I'm really considering getting him. He's a big kid and I think that it would fit him really well. He's going to be shooting my Accura V2 Lr soon and we'll see how that goes before making a decision on it. Thanks

I have a few A&H 320/420's... and a bunch of Remington 700 ML/MLS, Ruger 77/50's, and a Savage 10ML2.

I prefer the Remington 700 MLS. Then the stainless "all weather" Ruger 77/50's. They are lighter handier rifles. I'd bet seeing your probable user is a kid this "ballance & weight" is more important than you may realize.

Also I sell 209 sealed breech set ups for the Remington 700ML/ MLS & Ruger 77/50. I've got plans to make a similar system for the A&H but things keep getting in the way.

If you get the A&H make sure you get the owner's manual (a copy is available here at my website):

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/austinhalleckinline.html
With any of those slam fire #11 inline set ups: Clean the barrel, breech plug, and the bolt after each time you shoot... with A&H the bolt has a recessed hex head set screw that must be loosened before tearing it down... which frequently is not and strips the threads on the firing pin...

YMMV,

Yours

Tom

Agree with Tom, the 77/50 was a great little muzzleloader, very accurate, pointed great and not heavy. Plus if you got it with the wood stock it was a good looking rifle. That was the 1st muzzleloader I bought my stepson to hunt with back in the 90s.

I have a few A&H 320/420's... and a bunch of Remington 700 ML/MLS, Ruger 77/50's, and a Savage 10ML2.

I prefer the Remington 700 MLS. Then the stainless "all weather" Ruger 77/50's. They are lighter handier rifles. I'd bet seeing your probable user is a kid this "ballance & weight" is more important than you may realize.

Also I sell 209 sealed breech set ups for the Remington 700ML/ MLS & Ruger 77/50. I've got plans to make a similar system for the A&H but things keep getting in the way.

If you get the A&H make sure you get the owner's manual (a copy is available here at my website):

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/austinhalleckinline.html
With any of those slam fire #11 inline set ups: Clean the barrel, breech plug, and the bolt after each time you shoot... with A&H the bolt has a recessed hex head set screw that must be loosened before tearing it down... which frequently is not and strips the threads on the firing pin...

YMMV,

Yours

Tom
Thanks for your input! I'm pretty sure that it's a 320 from what I've been reading. My boy is 15yrs old and just now getting interested in shooting/hunting. He's a good sized young man and is around 6ft 1in and probably 220lbs. He says that he likes my Accura V2 Lr. I'm going to get him out when the weather gets better and let him shoot the Accura and see how he does with it. He may need something a little lighter but we'll see.

always wanted a A&H, should have gotten one when I could of, Mike

always wanted a A&H, should have gotten one when I could of, Mike
I know where a brand new is located! He's asking $300 for it. I believe it's a 320 from what I've read about it. It has a black synthetic stock and it's a. 50. Located in S.Ohio

Back