CVA 50 cal Firebolt Ultramag powder and bullet suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaHunter

Reaction score
Decided to get my CVA 50 cal Firebolt Ultramag back out and shoot and hunt with it again. I haven't used it in about 15 years. Its been cleaned/oiled a couple of times a year along with all my other guns even if they haven't been used since the last time that they were cleaned/oiled. I don't have any powder or bullets left. I'm looking for suggestions from fellow owners for starting points on powder and bullets. I know that my gun may shoot different than yours but I wanted somewhere to start.

thanks,
Trav

I'm assuming that it uses # 11 caps for ignition.
I'd suggest you try some Triple 7 3f and Hornady 240 grain XTPs.
Muzzleloader supplies are starting to show up at Walmart stores. You should be able to get at least caps and powder there. They usually have Powerbelt and Traditions bullets in stock.

Exactly what deermanok says! I'd start with about 80grn of loose powder with the 240grn hornady xtp and work up from there. I used to hunt with a .50 hunterbolt mag and it shot great with a 100grn of pyrodex rs and a 240grn hornady xtp!

Sorry for getting on board here so late.

I'm thinking that the gun used 209 primers, but could be mistaken.

To the original poster. I'd stay away from the pellet powders and use a good granular. T7 FFg or T7 FFFg powders should serve you well. For the sake of simplicity, start with the FFg. If you're using bullets in the 250 to 300 grain range with a sabot, again for simplicity, I'd satart with a 90 grain by volume charge and move up 10 grains after 10 shots, then another 10 grains after another ten shots. I think you'll find your best accuracy between the 100 grain and the 110 grain loads.

If in fact the gun does use the 209 primers, I'd recommend the muzzleloader specific primers. If it is a cap user, try to find any of the CCI, Winchester, or Remington #11 Magnum caps.

My recomendation on the bullet/sabot would be the Hornady XTP .451 bullets of either 250 or 300 grain, non magnum bullet by the way, and a black Harvester sabot. XTP bullets have a huge success history behind them and are usually easy to find.

Have fun getting started up again and let us know how things go.

Sorry for getting on board here so late.

I'm thinking that the gun used 209 primers, but could be mistaken.

To the original poster. I'd stay away from the pellet powders and use a good granular. T7 FFg or T7 FFFg powders should serve you well. For the sake of simplicity, start with the FFg. If you're using bullets in the 250 to 300 grain range with a sabot, again for simplicity, I'd satart with a 90 grain by volume charge and move up 10 grains after 10 shots, then another 10 grains after another ten shots. I think you'll find your best accuracy between the 100 grain and the 110 grain loads.

If in fact the gun does use the 209 primers, I'd recommend the muzzleloader specific primers. If it is a cap user, try to find any of the CCI, Winchester, or Remington #11 Magnum caps.

My recomendation on the bullet/sabot would be the Hornady XTP .451 bullets of either 250 or 300 grain, non magnum bullet by the way, and a black Harvester sabot. XTP bullets have a huge success history behind them and are usually easy to find.

Have fun getting started up again and let us know how things go.
The Hunter bolt mag was a 209 primer, I'm not sure about the Firebolt.

I did a search and found guns that had each type of ignition. There seems to be a healthy aftermarket for breech plugs and bolts to get either ignition if one has a preference.

I did a search and found guns that had each type of ignition. There seems to be a healthy aftermarket for breech plugs and bolts to get either ignition if one has a preference.
That's correct. I recall seeing the conversion kits being sold.

Decided to get my CVA 50 cal Firebolt Ultramag back out and shoot and hunt with it again. I haven't used it in about 15 years. Its been cleaned/oiled a couple of times a year along with all my other guns even if they haven't been used since the last time that they were cleaned/oiled. I don't have any powder or bullets left. I'm looking for suggestions from fellow owners for starting points on powder and bullets. I know that my gun may shoot different than yours but I wanted somewhere to start.

thanks,
Trav
Let us know what works out best for yo. I’m like you in that I have a cva firebolt which I need to take out to the range after being kept in the safe for years.

thanks,
Trav
I still have my Firebolt. Great firearm. I use my 501cal. Accura mostly Triple 7 powder. I put a new scope on Firebolt I have to sight it in. Need primers badly Winchester Triple 7 .

Back