Avoid the dreaded Light-Line “BREAK-OFFs”…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
Before fishing season kicks into high-gear I’ll go through this tying exercise every year. Some line KNOTS require more precision in tying to get the most strength possible out of it…so practice makes perfect.
When I’m using 6 pound test line or less, KNOT strength needs to be at its MAX. For example, I use the Improved Clinch Knot often with Monofilament. If you don’t tie or seat this particular KNOT correctly you will see a decrease in line strength.
I like to have a good FEEL for what it takes to break a KNOT I’ve tied, so I will tie it to my test hook in the photo and give it a good steady pull until it breaks. There’s nothing worse than losing a decent fish because of a poorly tied KNOT.
nr28AWV.jpg

Hey Marty, I use the improved clinch for 80 percent of my fishing purposes. Loop knot, snell and nail are the others.

I've seen a lot of guys have problems with knots breaking. I ask them to tie the know so I can see what they're doing. Right off the bat, I can see their problem.

They do one of two things wrong. Sometimes both. They don't lube before pulling tight or they pull the knot tight too fast. Pulling the knot tight too fast creates heat which weakens the knot.

Always lube and pull the knot tight real slow. You can't go too slow but you can easily go too fast.

I have used the ProFishonal Knot Tryer for decades (goes by other names now) but probably because my father designed it.
True you probably can not buy it off the rack and expect to become proFishonal with it, you need someone to Show you, but once you got it it's like riding a bike!

I can tie almost Any of the clinch and Snell family knots, any size line .5lb leader to 120lb ocean. I even found I could tie a Bimini Twist so easy - and best of all, my wraps lay virtual Perfect every time.
(No it does Not 'tie flies', it ties the leader line to the fly, AND it splices line too!)s-l400.jpg

Sure, the knots are easy once you know them, and you are sitting at home practicing - but tying 1lb leader on a small hook in a boat in the cold wet wind, with slimy bait hands - or With Gloves on! EASY!
It makes all tying so easy it has even been sold as a tool for the handicap (poor vision, amputees, arthritis)

While my father has retired, he sold the tool to his mold maker (out of Florida I think) and my father, Don, can still be found at gun and home shows in Idaho.

A tool I highly recommend, even thou I can tie all the knots by hand - Why?

👍MadL, that tool or similar might come in very handy for those whose aging hand dexterity has diminished. I'll keep that in mind down-the-road.😉

What are you fishing for when using a 1lb leader out of a boat?

I never go that light for fly fishing. No matter how small the fly is.
Now that I think about it. I don't think tippet goes that light. 8X is 1.75lb.

Did you mean 1X instead of 1lb?

Hey.madL how much did your dad get for that tool? I assume it comes with instructions? I might be interested now. Send me a message if you/he have some available. Thx.

What are you fishing for when using a 1lb leader out of a boat?

I never go that light for fly fishing. No matter how small the fly is.
Now that I think about it. I don't think tippet goes that light. 8X is 1.75lb.

Did you mean 1X instead of 1lb?
Yeah I agree, I don't think I ever used less than 2 lb test but I think small nymphs and dries (20s) require some light leader or tippet.

Depends on the size of the fish too Bobby. We have a tailwater here that has huge trout. It's C&R only and the fish are really educated because they've been caught so many times. It takes a small nymph to get their interest. Normally smaller than #20. They know they can break off by diving for the big boulders. Nobody uses less than 5X or they'd have no control over the fish and will get broke off every time.

The Palomar knot can be tied in most lure-to line attachment, even flies, and is a very strong knot. It is also easy to teach to youngsters. My 11 year old niece was tying her own lures and hooks on after only a couple of demos from me. I keep a tube of cheap lip balm in my tackle boxes. When tying knots, I dab some on my finger and use it to lube knots before I cinch them down. A Tie-Fast tool is good to have with you for nail knots and snells. you can even do line-to-line splices with it.

👍MadL, that tool or similar might come in handy for those whose aging hand dexterity has diminished. I'll keep that in mind down-the-road.😉
Depends on the size of the fish too Bobby. We have a tailwater here that has huge trout. It's C&R only and the fish are really educated because they've been caught so many times. It takes a small nymph to get their interest. Normally smaller than #20. They know they can break off by diving for the big boulders. Nobody uses less than 5X or they'd have no control over the fish and will get broke off every time.
I always use tapered mono tippet, and dreaded having to go to 7X when the conditions demanded it. 5X and 6X were my standards most of the time.

The Palomar knot can be tied in most lure-to line attachment, even flies, and is a very strong knot. It is also easy to teach to youngsters. My 11 year old niece was tying her own lures and hooks on after only a couple of demos from me. I keep a tube of cheap lip balm in my tackle boxes. When tying knots, I dab some on my finger and use it to lube knots before I cinch them down. A Tie-Fast tool is good to have with you for nail knots and snells. you can even do line-to-line splices with it.
Palomar is a great knot. A buddy of mine who tournament fishes swears by it.

The ProFishonal Knot tyer (or 2-in1 or other names it goes by today) make the Palomar knot a snap, even with gloves on in the cold wind.
As for. 5lb leader; I never went that low, not sure who does but it ties it!!
Myself, for shore fishing trout I use 1lb or 2lb leader tied to swivel to 3 or 4lb line, I have landed (with net of course) 5-6lb trout! It's all in how you Fight him, wear him out and dont muscle him in or yes you snap the line!
Of course from a boat, and what you are fishing for, will dictate what size line, and knot, you use. For deep sea rock cod I go 6lb leaders on 8lb line.

As for those using Tapered leader; basicaly it's just a double Snell on two different sized lines - The Tool Does That! The tapered end (most think it's a 'handle' - but it's a "2-in1" took, one tool that does what All the others do all on one!)

Yes it comes with all the basic knots in step by step directions (I think he still offers a dvd video too but not 100% sure); for those who want to know how to contact my father please PM and I will call him (local in Idaho, Boise area).
I just got home from shooting and my shoulder giving me serious issues (broke my rib couple months ago in a fall)

And did I mention that when put on a knot tester (at Fred Hall boat shows and others) a knot tied with the tool (but like said by another earlier - Wet the line when you pull tight, and go slow, dont Friction the line) a tool tied knot (or hand if your goid) will always break the Line NOT the Knot.
If you break the knot (little curly on the end) you most likely had a wrap Over the knot

Latest posts

Back