Avoid the dreaded Light-Line “BREAK-OFFs”…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully April will be our start of fishing season. Here's what I like to do. Restring my open face and spin casting reels. Get all my lures ready. Make sure I have enough clear bubbles, hooks, leaders, sinkers, split shot, bait(if needed), a good quantity of flies, and of course a real good quantity of drinking water and snacks. It's all about relaxation, fun, and some great fish in the fryer.

Hopefully April will be our start of fishing season. Here's what I like to do. Restring my open face and spin casting reels. Get all my lures ready. Make sure I have enough clear bubbles, hooks, leaders, sinkers, split shot, bait(if needed), a good quantity of flies, and of course a real good quantity of drinking water and snacks. It's all about relaxation, fun, and some great fish in the fryer.
Same here...I'll be wetting my lines in April. Spent this morning cleaning and re-spooling a half-dozen spinning reels. Next on the list is to do my spring tackle inventory. I'm planning on using lighter🎣 gear and line this year. After that it's time to prep the boat.

I bought a new spin reel and rod for this year. I can't wade the rivers anymore, so I won't be fly fishing but lake fishing with the spin gear.

Mostly with bubble and fly.

I bought a new spin reel and rod for this year. I can't wade the rivers anymore, so I won't be fly fishing but lake fishing with the spin gear.

Mostly with bubble and fly.
As you know we have our favorites FLY patterns here in the NorthEast. I never fished the streams out West. How about some examples of FLIES ( Dry, Nymph, Wet, etc.) that you plan to use out your way this year?

I consider bubble and fly as a method of fishing but what I use I don't call flies. I was a purist with a fly rod using bamboo rods, silk lines, and nothing but classic dry flies tied with natural materials only. As an example, i'd use an Adams tied with muskrat instead of dubbing.

What i'll be using with the spin rods will be streamers like a Wolly Bugger. I never considered steamers as flies. They imitate small fish, leaches etc.

I've always used spit ... Always with me and I never seem to run out of it! ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Well, I very much dislike putting lines or dirty fishy fingers anywhere near my mouth, or spitting on my fingers, especially when someone else is around. Just wont do it. Chapstick works well and a tube lasts forever. To each, his own.

Well, I very much dislike putting lines or dirty fishy fingers anywhere near my mouth, or spitting on my fingers, especially when someone else is around. Just wont do it. Chapstick works well and a tube lasts forever. To each, his own.

Do you touch your mouth or hands when you spit?

I can see where Chapstick would work...especially in cold weather.
----------------------------------------
p.s. Chapstick has lubricating properties. I use it on the nut of my guitars that have a whammy bar.

Touch your tongue to the line ... Just enough to wet the knot. ;)

What's dirty?

Did you, your fishing buddies, kids or grand-kids ever pee over the side of the boat into the water?

How about what the fish, frogs and other aquatic and non-aquatic life do in and around the lakes? :eek:

Let's see, I'll bet at one time or another, you've cleaned under your finger nails, gutted a fish, cut bait, whittled a nasty piece of wood, and cut your 'Slim Jim' with the same knife. Probably with nothing more than a dip in the lake and a quick swipe on the leg of your nasty fishing pants. (I know that I have.)

Think of it all as being 'holistic'. If it doesn't kill you, it'll only make you stronger. :thumbs up:

Cheers,
Smoketown

PS - It's a proven fact that according to a guest of The In Fisherman, "If y'all wanna ketch the biguns, ya gotta spit on yer minner". :D

Seriously, there have been some great points made in this thread!

Although I prefer Blistex, I'm sure that Chapstick is a great lube.

I know what 'odd odors' on lines, baits and lures can do to your catch size. (Think gasoline.)

As far as "spittin' on yer minner" goes, I have had poor days fishing and spitting on the bait did seem to help.

Of course, a LOT more experimentation (fishing) is in order!
What if I eat pizza? Then drink a beer? How about beer and no pizza?

For the curious, the answer is ... Oh Hell NO! I will NOT be eating Velveeta!!!
Just putting it on your hook is considered water pollution in my book.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Fish aren't deer. They don't spook at the smell of a human. I don't spit on the fly but the knot. It's been done by fly fishermen for centuries and doesn't affect catching or not catching the fish. The fish will be spitting out the fly in a nono second anyway if you don't have good reflexes and timing you lose.

I don't worry about how the fly smells but my concern is setting the hook at the right time.

Latest posts

Back