Barnes .358 TSX bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoytFlinger said:
I believe my Extreme is a 30 twist. I may give them a go.

Your Extreme would be 1-30... that is one of the reason Knight made the move from 1-20 all the way back to 1-30. The 1-20 overstabilzed short bullets... What really happened is the 1-20 spun the little short bullets so fast it induced bullet wobble... the 1-30 slowed the spin rate down and kept them stable... so is my understanding...

What do you think would be the best fitting sabot for this bullet and the 45 Extreme?

HoytFlinger said:
What do you think would be the best fitting sabot for this bullet and the 45 Extreme?

Not sure if you have to many options... Harvester and MMP make sabots I believe and the are very short little things. I have some MMP but have used them yet.

Sqezer has shot some from his DISC's I think both from a 1-20 and 1-30...

HoytFlinger said:
I wonder if these would work in a Knight 45 cal?

What grain bullet? I doubt very seriously that they will work in a 1:30 twist. Monolithic bullets are usually much longer than the copper jacketed lead bullets. I tried the .358 Hornady 200 gr FTX in my 1:30 and they keyholed. I even used the much longer PR (by MMP) orange sabots. The blue MMP .357 sabots are too short for anything longer than a pistol bullet.

002-1.jpg

026.jpg

The 1:20 will stabilize the bullets, but I was having drilling problems with the sabots with 120 gr BH209 charges in my original DISC.

016.jpg

015-1.jpg

004.jpg

My White 1:20 twist M98 Elite also shot them well. I still need to test these bullets in my custom 1:20 twist Huntsman.

014.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

Just for comparison, this is from the Knight 1:20.

014.jpg

008-1.jpg

I thought they made a 185 TSX, but website shows lightest at 200. They make a 180 TTSX. Doesn't look like I will be trying the 200s by the looks of your target with them.

One that WILL shoot great is a 180gr .357"XTP and believe it or not it actually loads tighter than a 200gr FTX. More bearing surface I'm guessing. It will shoot flatter and stabilize better at BP sub velocities.

JStanley said:
Busta said:
My White 1:20 twist M98 Elite also shot them well.

Hey Busta, what powder were you using in your White with this load?

That time I was using 777, but I have also shot Blackhorn 209 out of it with the 209 conversion. I wouldn't recommend shooting BH209 out of these rifles, for safety reasons. The primers want to come unglued, and can become secondary projectiles. I was wearing safety gear during this test, and no dummies were harmed.

Here are a couple other groups I shot that day with the M98 Elite. I'll have to do some digging to tell you how much powder, this was only a test to see if the 1:20 twist would stabilize these bullets. I didn't have my Knight 1:20 until shortly after this was shot. These are not what I would call great groups, but good enough to hunt at 100 yards with some fine tuning. I was looking for much better groups to use these bullets out to 200 yards, but didn't get what I was looking for.

007.jpg

008.jpg

004.jpg

[EDIT] I did some digging and found this for you, it will tell more of the story, before CRS set in. :lol:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... e+200++ftx

Thanks for the great info Busta. I have a Super 91 and my Traditions project gun that has a Green Mountain barrel on it that was originally intended for a Knight Disc Elite .45 cal. It's 1:20 and shoots dang near as good as the White. (shhhh, don't tell it that)

I was thinking Swiss 3f might give similar velocities as T7 or even BH without the other associated issues. You've given me something to tinker with this coming year.

BTW what is CRS? :huh?:

Back