54 caliber Barnes Expander????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Knight LK-93 in 54 caliber. Im thinking the Barnes Expander in 325 grains would make a great pop and flop combination. I looked at Rons bullet test and dont know if it can get much better. Any comments would be welcome.
Though I've never shot the 700ML .54 I have, I am a new fan of the Barnes Expanders as a hunting bullet, as well as what a monolithic bullet brings to the table vs a traditional cup & core bullet. The .40 195 Barnes became my new hunting bullet this yr & I don't plan on switching again until I can't get these any longer. So those big honkin .54's should body slam whatever you decide to use them on.

In all of my in-line muzzies I use Barnes Xpanders or the XPB bullets. Absolutely love the way they perform on deer. I do have some .40 caliber 225 grain Star Tips that I have shot and thought about using that bullet in the Patriot with smokeless this fall but really wanted to see what/how the 195 grain .40 Expander did and it was as expected....wonderful.

If I buy the late muzzy license I will be shooting the Fury's to see how they do, but Barnes has been a super bullet for me in all of my in-lines. I can't imagine a deer doing anything but pop and flop with that 325 in a .54.

I’ve always used the 325 Barnes in all my 54 Knights, great performance with 90-95 grains of powder, RS or T7.

Have used Barnes MZ expanders for 20+ years and now normally spitfire TMZ for longer range performance. Both are deadly accurate. Never had an issue one if I or others using them so their job right. The only thing I have had any problem with (if you can call it that) is on elk I’ve had multiple times where the slug is under the hide in the off side, and doesn’t punch the whole way through. They’ve always been dead on their feet, but I try not to have follow up/killing shots and I like holes on both sides to let blood out. Otherwise phenomenal. FWIW this is all strictly 50 caliber experience on my end.

Back