Barnes .458 original 300gr. semi-spitzer---news

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhawker

Reaction score
I wrote Barnes asking about the availability date of this bullet. Asked if they normally run out of this particular bullet.... Heck, I'll just copy+paste their response letter>>>>>
>>>>>
Vince,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We don?t usually run out of products but these weren?t too popular until Randy Wakeman wrote an article on them and they sold like crazy. We now know to make a lot more of this type of bullet and they are in the presses now. We ran out because the demand jumped up so much but we are making plenty now and they should be available around the 22nd of this month (February). Sorry for the delay.

Thank You,

Lori Christensen
Receptionist
Barnes Bullets <<<<<<<<<<

"We don?t usually run out of products but these weren?t too popular until Randy Wakeman wrote an article on them and they sold like crazy""

Randy,
Did you know your pen was so mighty?? :lol:

squirrelhawker said:
I kind of look at it like they are doing the "field work" for us.

Exactly! Sure saves a lot of money and range time for me, I know that much for sure!

Oh-OH- Randy's head's gonna get bigger from this!! :poke: :poke: :lol:

squirrelhawker said:
Randy,
Did you know your pen was so mighty?? :lol:

Uhh-huh. Whut?

The real credit goes to Del Ramsey, for without current formulation orange .458 / .50 sabots-- bullets like the Barnes Original spitzer soft point and the Hornady #4500 HP could not be so easily used.

Del can correct me on this, but the .458 sabot was originally a Knight product, potentially opening up a large new bullet array for frontloaders. But, Knight didn't do much with it, it never really caught fire, so the .458 sabot fell into oblivion for a while.

I'm glad it's back, glad it is updated-- but most folks will still just use sabots that come with bullets; I can't see that changing in the mainstream. Most folks also prefer 250 gr. class bullets vs. 300 gr. bullets, for a variety of reasons-- which leaves most .45-70 bullets behind.

Personally, I think it is a fabulous sabot-- and both the Barnes Original and the Hornady #4500 HP have been screamers, with the Barnes shooting far flatter. It gives everyone more choices, and I like that. :wink:

Just hope they make plenty of them so I can get my hands on them to give them a try. Do you guys order direct or go through a retailer like Midway or Midsouth.

Don

Yeah, Randy, why don't you order a truck load of em? Id rather buy them from you than those faceless retailers like Midsouth, etc., that dont spend hours of their time on boards like this, to educate new stiffs like me.

Primarily because my face is just not all that pretty? :wall:

You'll get them faster and cheaper direct from Barnes-- they are a very long ways from being a truly expensive bullet, and if you order 3 boxes, Barnes pays the shipping as well.

Latest posts

Back