Barnes Bullet DVD

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I received a package yesterday from Randy Wakeman with some stuff I ordered. I was pleasantly surprised to find a little something extra in the box. Randy sent me a new dvd put out by Barnes, featuring the new triple shock X bullet. Even though it was of the tone of an informercial along with the claims of being the best and most accurate bullet available, it was still fun to watch. It had a lot of kill shots that were very graphic. Very well made video, fun and entertaining. Last only 7 minutes but I did enjoy it. Just thought I would give you guys the heads up in case you got a chance to get a copy, because it is pretty good. Thanks Randy!
By the way, Mrs Rifleman was not too impressed with the shot on the prairie dog that blew it about 8 feet off the hole. LOL

I have one of those things Never watched it yet, I set my coffee cup on it :p I ordered it from there website free of charge.
Redclub

Yeah, I enjoyed my FREE Barnes DVD so much that I'm going to handload some of their TSX bullets for a .270 Win. as soon as I can get my hands on some! Most everyone raves about the accuracy they get out of the TSX's. Guess I'm gonna find out for myself!

nic, just loaded some 130 grainers last night! Bought mine from Cabelas for $26/50. Just started with 54 grains H4831 and havent shot yet. There is a note in their literature that comes with the bullets saying they shoot best when seated .050 off the lands. I have no way to figure this out so I measured a factory Remington Core Lokt and set it the same. Ill let you know how it works if youre interested.

There is a note in their literature that comes with the bullets saying they shoot best when seated .050 off the lands. I have no way to figure this out

Get you a Stoney Point OAL gauge. Some of the BEST reloading money you'll EVER spend. You'll need THAT, one of the Stoney Point modified cases, and a good caliper. PRESO..you are now able to EASILY seat your bullet 0.050 off the lands! The Stoney Point bullet comparator is also a handy dandy gadget!

http://www.stoneypoint.com/oal_index.html

http://www.stoneypoint.com/comparator_index.html

MQ32shooter said:
Ill let you know how it works if youre interested.

Sure, I would be interested in how they shoot for you!

Get you a Stoney Point OAL gauge

I've got one of those! It does work pretty slick.

I have no way to figure this out so I measured a factory Remington Core Lokt and set it the same.

Oh yeah...ALSO..Your reloading manual SHOULD have an OAL listed for each bullet per caliber. While this length list IS a good GUIDE, it is MAINLY for SAAMI specs so I'll function in all firearms in that caliber.. In bolt actions/Single shots/etc for best accuracy it is usually best to seat the bullet closer to the lands...hence Barnes SUGGESTING you seat your bullet 0.050 off the lands. Magazine/clip restructions may prohibit this...

MQ32shooter said:
big6x6 is this measurement from bullet tip or the ogive?

OAL is from the bottom of the case to the tip of the bullet.

Or you could take an empty case and put a bullet in it and paint the bullet with a magic marker. Now close the bolt and see where the land marks are. If you can see them take out the bullet and seat a little deeper until you can't see the lands. Hope I am clear
Redclub

I'm with ya Redclub... but I have never been able to get that to work very consistantly for me.

Don't bother trying that with a Weatherby cartridge - too much freebore!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Don't bother trying that with a Weatherby cartridge - too much freebore!

Blue-Dot-37.5

You are CORRECT! You'll never GET to the rifling! I just load 'em as long as the magazine will allow!

So, can I get a copy from one of you LOL I just don't want to pay the S&H from the states.......My first experince(sp) with the barnes X was with the old batch of .308 150gr and it could do no better than 3"@100yds, but when I order my new rifle (toss up between a 25-06 or 300Win[or both, as I have a T/C Encore LOL]) I will probably try them out again.....

For me the tsx's are as accurate as they advertize,and don't leave the copper in the barrel like the x bullets.I have shot them in a 270 wsm and a 7/08.
The reason I got them was to try on a hog hunt last year,they worked shot one in the throat @150 yds.with the 270 wsm.
They are pretty expensive and don't really need them for deer here so I don't shoot them on a regular bases.

Doohan said:
I'm with ya Redclub... but I have never been able to get that to work very consistantly for me.

I used to use the marker on the bullet too but found that if I gave the bullet a "frosted " finish with fine steel wool in a circular pattern, the rifling marks are more visible. I used to seat mine about .010 fron the lands.
I appreciate the recommendation (Chuck) on the stoney point O.A.L. gauge.That would be the best way to do this. Going to get one of them on my next order with Outdoor sports.
I ordered a couple boxes of the triple shock 130's for my .270 win. (graf's) and some Harvester sabots for the Savage yesterday.
I also am going to try the Reloader 22 for that bullet( for the .270).

Also going to start calling my .270 a 6.8mm.. more trendy.. ..ha ha :lol:

This forum is great for guys to get info about these hobbies. Thanks to all involved in setting this forum up!!

Vince
s.w.Ohio

Latest posts

Back