Barnes MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought 4 boxes of 20 at Cabellas for $ 8.99...bompa

Correction,The 300xtp Hornadys were $8.99 per 20 ...sorry for posting the wrong info...bompa

bompa said:
Correction,The 300xtp Hornadys were $8.99 per 20 ...sorry for posting the wrong info...bompa
Dang! bompa I was going to order up some!Check out Mid-South and Natchez for your 300grnXTPs,$8 for 50,250XTPs$13 per 100

I had a feeling that wasn't right at $8+ a box for Barnes or someone found the mother load. :shock:

dwhunter said:
I had a feeling that wasn't right at $8+ a box for Barnes or someone found the mother load. :shock:
Barnes prices are excactly why I find it so difficult to stray from XTPs.It is hard to justify the prices.

Every gun is an individual, if the MZ is your most accurrate load I think most folks will justify the price the if the MZ is their most accurrate bullet. If you can't get the XTP to group don't waste your time.

My gun has definitely shown a preference for the following MZ loads:
1. 300gr Barnes MZ, supplied HPH12 sabot, 59gr N120.
2. 250gr Barnes MZ, supplied HPH12 sabot, 41gr N110.

I used the 300gr load this past season and had two quick doe kills:
1. 65 yard shot, broadside, standing still, double lung shot, complete pass through, great blood trail, doe went about 60 before expiring.
2. 120 yard shot, broadside, running full tilt, shot nicked spine above lungs, complete pass through, piled her up immediately due to nicking the spine.

IAhunter, Did you find the 2 loads you mentioned hard to load on a fouled barrel in cold weather?I have thought about the Barnes for use in my sons gun.Right now he is using the HPH 24s and 300grn. XTP.He can load it on a fouled barrel.I was wondering about .451 dia. barnes and the HPH12s.

The Barnes MZ is definitely a snug fit in a fouled barrel on a cold day. But, the MZ has always been one of the tighter bullet/sabot combos even on warmer days at the range.

Latest posts

Back