Barrel browning options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Stuffer

Reaction score
Howdy guys!
I've been looking through some old posts here trying to find more information on browning barrels. I've really only seen two options pop up (mostly): laurel mountain forge and the Birchwood Casey plum brown.
Are there any other options that y'all have tried?
I have 3 hawken barrels to play with. One will be cold-blued, but the other two will be browned. One of the barrels to be browned is in the white.
I'm just curious as to what y'all like/dislike about the different browning solutions and maybe some things to avoid. I'd rather learn from YOUR mistakes than mine! Hahahaha!
Also..... what about the bore? Everyone talks about the outside, but I don't seem to find anyone talking about the bore. Should I just plug the barrel, or try to treat it as well? It seems odd to just leave it as is.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions, tips, ideas, etc..
Mike

Thanks!
Yeah.... I've gathered from some of the instructions I've read that the bore should be plugged.
Most of the solutions I've looked into seem to all do a satisfactory job. It seems that the end result may have more to do with the person than the product..... as is the case with most things.

Preparation is 70 percent of the process, easily. I’ve only browned one barrel barrel and blued a coup of others. Used birch wood casey and it worked well, I keep a couple bottles of brownells oxpho blue around and use it and the creme solution for touch ups as well as complete blue jobs.

Back