Bluing or Browning help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I just ordered a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit, 33.5" barrel. Which is the best and easiest solutions to use? Birchwood Casey Perma blue paste or liquid kit or Laurel Mountain Forge solutions? I have checked my electric oven and if I take out the racks there seems to be enough room to put the barrel in it if I angle it. IF I go with that what temperature should I set the oven at and how long would I leave the barrel in the oven?

I've done 5 or 6 barrels with the Birchwood Casey cold blue. Some have turned out better than others.
From the little I know about browning a barrel, I'm pretty sure you need low heat in the oven. About 200 degrees.
The other muzzleloader site has a number of old posts about barrel browning and blueing.

I've done 5 or 6 barrels with the Birchwood Casey cold blue. Some have turned out better than others.
From the little I know about browning a barrel, I'm pretty sure you need low heat in the oven. About 200 degrees.
The other muzzleloader site has a number of old posts about barrel browning and blueing.
What other muzzleloader site?

Cold blue typically doesn't wear well. Browning is controlled rust, it's pretty well there forever. Which ever one is used, meticulous preparation is the secret to success. Still use cold blue for small parts if the rest of the gun is blued. Brownell's has the market covered and "Gunsmith's Kinks" books have helped me with all sorts of projects.

I used Homer Dangler's browning solution years ago and it works great. Basically, you can use a 100 watt light bulb in the bottom of a broom closet for heat as the barrel must be processed in a warm environment. I only use cold blue for small parts and touching up scratches. I hot blue barrels and large parts.

Latest posts

Back