barrel dimensions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterJim

Reaction score
I notice that muzzleloaders don't seem to be made to industry tandards. For example the .50 cal rifles seem to be "tight" or "OK" when people comment about how hard it is to load sabots.

I know my ULA M90 is a .500"/.505" barrel (that would be land and groove diameter respectively). Also I read the White rifles are .504" (I don't know if that is a land or groove measure).

Does the group know what T/C and Savage use for their .50 barrels? IIRC .50 centerfire barrels are .510" groove.

thanks...jim

There are no standards in the muzzleloading industry. This makes it hard for bullet/sabot makers to get it right. This is one reason MMP has different sabots for .50 cal.

Here are the bore diameters for the 3 50 cals I currently have. See what kind of problem there is? These are land to land measurements.

Knight Disc Extreme 50 .503

T/C Omega 50 .500

Knight Hawkeye 50 .501

Bore diameters

I was talking to Doug Derner at Hornady today and he felt the bore diameters on the pro hunter were more consistant than the previous encore barrels.

They have had test rifle bore diameter ranges form .499 to 503.

Choc-dog

My Omega had a tight bore,so tight that,infact I used lapping compound to smooth,and "open it up a little to get it to load better. My Prohunter has had "no problems" what so ever at all! The bore is glass smooth,and shoots and loads very easy. It isn't picky on the loads it shoots either. If you stay in the 100gr. range on powder it shoots,cheap shots,250XTP's,S/W,and SST's all well. When you step up the charge the SST'sand S/W's are the bullet of choice,then.

Back