Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brand new to Muzzle loading and bought a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter in .50 cal after receiving new gun I wanted to check bore diameter to start finding correct bullet diameter but could only slide a .486 diameter gage pin in bore. After checking bore condition I found .007 tall burrs on land from where riffling was cut and riffling only checks .504 to .505 diameter information on gun shows riffling should be .510 diameter. Sent gun back to where I purchased there gun smith looked a 4 other in inventory and said they all look the same. Contacted Pedersoli through e-mail they stated riffling was correct and burrs would smooth out with shooting. Is this normal while I'm not a gunsmith but have been a Toolmaker for 40 years so I'm confident in my measurements.

Attachments

• H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
It’s not normal to anything I’ve purchased new. Although I have seen some fairly rough bores from the factory and also from aftermarket suppliers. Without fail I have been using the Lee Shaver break in procedures for anything that comes my way now. Simple and easy to do before ever shooting the rifle. It would have cleaned up the burrs easily. In a rifle designed for shooting bullets that groove depth should be sufficient.

TerrA, as said above. Use the search function and look up Lee Shaver barrel treatment, it will make your barrel free of machining marks…

I had a pedersoli hawken hunter. They are tight bored but I fire lapped the bore and it was the best replica I owned as far as accuracy in a lower end factory gun . Pedersoli is top quality but that model is on the lowest end which is why they are cheap compared to other models pedersoli offers. I still have quite a few Pedersolis and in my opinion they are the best quality you will find in a factory replica . I would never part with my Rocky Mountain Hawken

I had a pedersoli hawken hunter. They are tight bored but I fire lapped the bore and it was the best replica I owned as far as accuracy in a lower end factory gun . Pedersoli is top quality but that model is on the lowest end which is why they are cheap compared to other models pedersoli offers. I still have quite a few Pedersolis and in my opinion they are the best quality you will find in a factory replica . I would never part with my Rocky Mountain Hawken
I’ve been very happy with my Pedersoli Gibbs rifles. Excellent quality and value!

Back