Barrel Grades

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I need a simple, quick definition that is elusive to find on the net. 

I see in some catalogs a Grade on barrels. A, -A, B... 
Not all sources even list them and none define them. 

Help?

Worse yet, every single maker has his own grading system. Then you have to ask yourself which if better, a <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> from this guy or an A from that guy, or an "air gauge" (remember those?) from another shop or a "match grade" from yet another.

BrownBear said:
Worse yet, every single maker has his own grading system. Then you have to ask yourself which if better, a <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> from this guy or an A from that guy, or an "air gauge" (remember those?) from another shop or a "match grade" from yet another.
Oh, good. Its not just me. I was afraid I was missing something.

Frankly muzzleloading barrels are getting so hard to find without special orders or long waits, a guy is just happy to find one of any make in the right caliber, twist and diameter. I searched far and wide for a 7/8" 45 caliber barrel back when I was collecting parts for my GRRW-CA Squirrel Rifle, and after a couple of weeks was more than happy to "settle" for a version from Green Mountain.  Turned out to be a fine barrel, but it wasn't my dream choice by any means. When push came to shove, the dream of having the rifle in my hands was more important that waiting an extra 6 months or a year to get the "right" barrel.

OK... I can't speak for all the other ratings, but I found the definition for the Colerain barrels. 
Finally!

This applies to swamped barrels. Ratings A-C refers to size. Specifically, 'A' is slightly narrower starting at the breech 
and continuing all across to the muzzle. Each section of 'A' is slightly smaller (a .050 difference at the breech) than a 'B.' 

This means an 'A' would be a bit lighter weight than a 'B' or a 'C.'

Interesting what you discover. The reason it is hard to find a definition? This 'across the barrel' length difference is best 
expressed with art, not words. It is easier to understand when looking at a picture. I did not see any written explanations.

LSWS6d.jpg

Colerain Chart

If you're having a custom long rifle built, a swamped barrel is definitely the way to go. I wish I had one.

Kentucky Colonel said:
LSWS6d.jpg

LSWS6d.jpg
Colerain Chart
This is showing you the measurements of the outside of the barrel used for the barrel channel, is that what your asking. This has nothing to due with the grading on the quality of barrels.
-----------------------------------

The manufacturing process, barrel-quality steel is carefully controlled and inspected to ensure the material structure is correct for rifle barrel use. There are two basic steel options available: stainless steel and chromium-molybdenum alloy steel. Stainless steels are special, gun-barrel quality grades of Carpenter or Crucible 416. Suppliers of chrome-moly steels have changed as the American steel industry continues to suffer bankruptcies and closures due to competition from cheap, imported steels. (See "Blood and Iron Pyrite" by Eric J. Obermeyer in the Chronicles: A Magazine of American Culture, Vol. 28, No. 4, April 2004, pages 51-53.) This has resulted in a situation where high-quality specialty grades of steel (numbering) are becoming harder to obtain, steel prices are going up, and minimum order quantities are now about 10 times larger. The type of steel used has a significant impact on the price of a barrel, since stainless steel costs approximately four times more than chrome-moly. In addition to the cost differential associated with the material in the barrel itself and with the material removed during the manufacturing process, there are additional costs due to drops resulting form having to purchase bars of certain lengths, which may not allow for full, end-to-end usage.
-----------------------------------

Numbering is the quality of the metal used in barrel making from what I was told by Turner Kirkland (Dixie Gun Works owner) years ago. I would think that's still correct !!!  I'm looking through my files for the numbers and what each means KC, be back in a bit.

Yes an 'A' would be a lighter weight than a 'B' or a 'C' barrels. I was thinking the numbers used to grage the barrels, sorry.

I have one.

http://www.custommuzzleloaders.com/buckscounty.html

.40 cal. 42" Swamped "B" weight Colerain barrel
Barrel and Breach is 100% bedded and realeased (no bedding is visable)
Siler Flintlock from Jim Chambers lock shop (Browned)
Chambers "White Lightning" Vent Liner
Davis Single Trigger, customized pull (3/32" pull length at 6 oz. pull (smooth)
Length of pull is approx. 13 3/4"
Drop at heel is approx. 3 1/2"
Weight is 9 lbs, balance point right at the rear of the entry pipe
Brass sideplate, trigger guard, nosecap, and buttplate
Over 20 coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil, rubbed to glass smooth satin sheen

Jealous?
Go ahead. Admit it. :lol!:

Does it shoot?
Silly. 
Of course it does.
I've loaded as little as 10 grains of Swiss 3 fg and it's like
a .22 rifle.
She's a one ragged hole at 50 yards rifle.
I suppose it would take a deer but I don't hunt it.
I only shoot it, clean carefully, and give it all my love and
put her away.
I'd sleep with it but she who must be obeyed won't let me.
I'd NEVER, EVER, use GOEX or counterfeit faux power
like T-7 or Pyropoof.
It would be a mortal sin.
I have a custom .45 round ball shooter for deer if I want
to use it. It has a Douglas air gauged barrel.
Douglas quit making muzzle loading barrels I think.

Thorts?

Kentucky Colonel said:
Cool. Tell us about it. How did you get it? How does it handle?
"how did you get it?"

Really?
I bought it from the maker.
http://www.custommuzzleloaders.com/guns.html

^^^^^^^^^^^this!

It handles like a custom made .40 caliber Bucks County
replica rifle all handmade. A dream, an absolute fine shooting
experience.
I won't even let anyone else shoot it. Or even touch it.
You should see the knives he makes.
I have one.
It's a dream come true.
I doubt I could afford to replace it today IF I could find
one similar.
I paid around a grand back then.
I went on Track of the Wolf and anything even close is
$3 to $5 grand.
I shoot only Swiss in my custom guns.
Anything else gets GOEX and Elephant.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
And never mind that pyrojunk.
Am I a black powder muzzle loading snob?
You bet your bippy I am. :D

Check this one out.
Spanish but good Spanish replica.
Nice one indeed.
$399.00
Worth every penny.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAQ-669

This percussion long rifle was offered in the 1970's and early 1980's. The rifle is stocked in beech, with brass furniture, blued barrel, and color case hardened lock. The rifle appears to have seen only limited use with a few handling marks on the lock, stock, and barrel. 

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm? Should I?

It won't last long.
But I have so many nice ones.
Lots of powder too.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

She who must be obeyed will really get ticked!
I absolutely don't need it.
But since when does need have anything to do with our insanity???? :D

Cheesh I have TWO more on the way now!

Kentucky Colonel said:
Yes. Size. That is what I wrote, yes? 
Was that wrong?
You wrote "grades" in the title and body of your opening post, but yes, there's also the possibility of weight if swamped barrels are on your list of possibilities.

BrownBear said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
Yes. Size. That is what I wrote, yes? 
Was that wrong?
You wrote "grades" in the title and body of your opening post, but yes, there's also the possibility of weight if swamped barrels are on your list of possibilities.
Yep. I wrote that when I did not know what it was. I see the room for confusion. 

'Skinny barrels...' What is the down side?

patocazador said:
"'Skinny barrels...' What is the down side?"

The long rifles don't weigh as much and aren't so barrel heavy. I consider that a plus when you're sighting on a deer ... especially with a flintlock that can hang fire. Barrel heating is never a problem since you're only shooting once at a deer. 
In competition it may be a different story but the only competition I worry about is between me and the deer.

Kentucky Colonel said:
I talked to my smith about it in some detail.  There's a point at which if the barrel is too skinny, any little change in the bedding can cause warping. That could be from a bum bedding job, warping in the forestock with age, or even barrel heating and expansion between the pins holding the barrel.  He was real shy of skinny barrels unless the caliber was relatively small. Heck, he insisted on 7/8" for the straight 45 caliber barrel on my Leman Squirrel Rifle. Probably overkill for lots of folks, but he likes the "better safe than sorry" outlook.

BrownBear said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
I talked to my smith about it in some detail.  There's a point at which if the barrel is too skinny, any little change in the bedding can cause warping. That could be from a bum bedding job, warping in the forestock with age, or even barrel heating and expansion between the pins holding the barrel.  He was real shy of skinny barrels unless the caliber was relatively small. Heck, he insisted on 7/8" for the straight 45 caliber barrel on my Leman Squirrel Rifle. Probably overkill for lots of folks, but he likes the "better safe than sorry" outlook.

Thanks Hank I was just going to say the same...

Latest posts

Back