Wads and PRB / Great Plains rounds.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
Couple of quick questions

• Anybody out there using a wad when shooting PRB. What are you using and why?
  • Anybody out there using a wad behind Great plains bullets (GPB). What are you using and why?
Why am I asking, I am intrigued with shooting the Hornady GPB out of my 54 cal Renegade. The bore isn't great but shoots PRB just fine. I just watched a video of a guy loading the 385gr GPB straight onto powder. Is that what I am supposed to do? I hear conversations about using felt or veggie wads and claims that they make the gun more accurate as well as leaving a cleaner barrel. What are you shooting and what are your loads.

Thanks for your help and advice

There are many on this forum who always use an oversized wad with full bore lead projectile. I personally don't. I've been shooting GPB and T/C Maxis for years and always had MOD (Minute of Deer) accuracy.

If you don't already have a supply of GPB for the .54 cal, you are out of luck. Hornady stopped making them a few years ago. I was pretty bummed when they pulled the plug on the .54. It was super accurate out of my T/C Thunderhawk. I've had to go back to shooting my hand molded Maxi-balls.

There are many on this forum who always use an oversized wad with full bore lead projectile. I personally don't. I've been shooting GPB and T/C Maxis for years and always had MOD (Minute of Deer) accuracy.

If you don't already have a supply of GPB for the .54 cal, you are out of luck. Hornady stopped making them a few years ago. I was pretty bummed when they pulled the plug on the .54. It was super accurate out of my T/C Thunderhawk. I've had to go back to shooting my hand molded Maxi-balls.
LMAO. So my question is kind of redundant.

I should have done a little more research. Perhaps I should also be asking what mold people are using to cast their own 54 cal bullets and what seems to work best for the Renegade. I know Idaho Lewis is big into his casting and bullet design but a lot of that is beyond me and he is also using fast twist Rice barrels. Anyone casting for a 1-48 Renegade?

Minute of deer doesn't work for me, with a Dura Felt wad I get better velocity/less gas cutting and lots more accuracy and if you own a chrono use it and see for yourself! Anything that protects the base causes more accuracy and don't cry over GPB , just get Idaho Lewis's I Bullet from Accurate molds in 45/50/or 54 as they put that mold to shame ! /Ed

I use the veggie fiber wads for shooting any kind of elongated bullets in my Renegades. I have used them for Maxi Balls, Minie Balls, GPH, Lee REAL bullets, and No Excuse bullets with good results. As someone else already said, it helps reduce gas cutting and blow by which helps with accuracy. The barrel on my 54 Renegade isn't that great either, but it shoots good groups with both round balls and conical bullets. It shoots Maxi Balls better when I use the wads versus when I don't.

Minute of deer doesn't work for me, with a Dura Felt wad I get better velocity/less gas cutting and lots more accuracy and if you own a chrono use it and see for yourself! Anything that protects the base causes more accuracy and don't cry over GPB , just get Idaho Lewis's I Bullet from Accurate molds in 45/50/or 54 as they put that mold to shame ! /Ed
Casting my own. Now that's a whole other rabbit hole that I know very little about. Do you happen to have the product # for Idaho's 54 Cal I Bullet? mold.

Thanks for the help.

Casting my own. Now that's a whole other rabbit hole that I know very little about. Do you happen to have the product # for Idaho's 54 Cal I Bullet? mold.

Thanks for the help.
yes I do , known as I bullet but actually L for lead (pure) Accurate #50-415L don't have the 54 mold in front of me but here's a photo so it did happen /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0972[1].JPG
    IMG_0972[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My 54 CVA percussion shoots round ball and the Dixie Gunworks 425gr maxi about as well as my eyes and the irons can do

Would like to experiment w wads between powder and ball/bullet and I even have the right punch to make em but Ive not had the $ to casually drop on the real felt needed

yes I do , known as I bullet but actually L for lead (pure) Accurate #50-415L don't have the 54 mold in front of me but here's a photo so it did happen /Ed
Apologies, I started this thread and then disappeared. Saturday was a crap day for my family. Either way, thanks, so much useful information.

Greg

Couple of quick questions

• Anybody out there using a wad when shooting PRB. What are you using and why?
  • Anybody out there using a wad behind Great plains bullets (GPB). What are you using and why?
Why am I asking, I am intrigued with shooting the Hornady GPB out of my 54 cal Renegade. The bore isn't great but shoots PRB just fine. I just watched a video of a guy loading the 385gr GPB straight onto powder. Is that what I am supposed to do? I hear conversations about using felt or veggie wads and claims that they make the gun more accurate as well as leaving a cleaner barrel. What are you shooting and what are your loads.

Thanks for your help and advice
i would like to know the real answer!! these are hollow based bullets aren't they??? I never did get maxi balls to group when i ML'd in early 80's... no problems since i learned about "wadding"... get some wads & try em both ways... then we will know! i do shoot wads under my paper patched hollow based bullets,,, maybe i'm doing it wrong. as i've read not to use em on hollow based bullets...

i would like to know the real answer!! these are hollow based bullets aren't they??? I never did get maxi balls to group when i ML'd in early 80's... no problems since i learned about "wadding"... get some wads & try em both ways... then we will know! i do shoot wads under my paper patched hollow based bullets,,, maybe i'm doing it wrong. as i've read not to use em on hollow based bullets...
Heard Idaho Lewis mention 1/2 a cotton ball helps protect the base (similar to the felt wad)
I use for all PB conicals /Ed

When all else fails and not even a pillow-ticking patch will solve the inaccuracies, look inside the wife's food pantry and grab the Cornmeal. 30gr is a good substitute for the fiber wads.

Most times, it's not the roundball, patch, lube or wad causing the problem with accuracy. It's generally always too hot-of-a-load.

But all bets are off concerning 1-48 twist 50/54-cal barrels that did most of it's lifetime of work shooting out conicals. That is why it's been a Rule of Most Blackpowder Handbooks that the best roundball shooting barrels are those of 60-70 twist.

Last edited:
Are you using wads under bullets with concave bases?

Latest posts

Back