Barrel Grades

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info, Hank. Thanks.

The chart is higher in this thread. Do you think the difference between an 'A' and a 'B' 
would make much difference?

And, do you consider a .40 calibre a "small calibre" in this case?

Kentucky Colonel said:
Great info, Hank. Thanks.

The chart is higher in this thread. Do you think the difference between an 'A' and a 'B' 
would make much difference?

And, do you consider a .40 calibre a "small calibre" in this case?

I would go with the "A" on the chart, nothing wrong with a .40 caliber and yes its considered "squirrel rifle" material.

In Colorado a National Match is held each year for over 40 years, the largest caliber allowed is .40 caliber -  the "Colorado State Championship Squirrel Shooting Matches".  Even use to hold National Postal Matches with the same rules.

DOW in CO allows you to use a .40 cal. gun for deer hunting, nothing smaller. You can stoke them up using 3F powder to where they have the killing power of many modern caliber rifles. 

I use to use a .36 caliber Poor Boy rifle to hunt on ours and the neighbors places covering over 10,500 acres next to Roosevelt National Park near Estes Park. The chances of getting caught was pretty slim when using this rifle, couldn't help myself. With 58 grains of 3F it hit and sounded like a .22 Hornet, man what a deer shootin' gun.

Latest posts

Back