Barrel Length

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know much at all about muzzleloaders but I know I'm going hunting with one next year. The two that I'm looking at buying have different barrel lengths. Besides that they are pretty much the same. One is a break over with a 24" barrel. The other is a break over with a 26" barrel. I was wondering how much those two inches will affect the performance of the muzzleloader.

I'll be hunting in Colorado. No scopes are allowed here so it will be open sights. I haven't done a ton of homework yet but I can't see me taking a shot of more than 150 yards. Maybe less or maybe a little more depending on how it shoots and how much I learn in the coming off season.

Thanks in advance for any information at all.

I have muzzleloaders with barrels in both lengths. They are both very accurate. You might want to go with the gun that feels the best as you shoulder it. As far as shooting longer distances with open sights it doesn't work very well past 100 yds. The front bead (or fiber optic) will obscure the target. Hot setup would be peep sight on the rear and globed crosshair on the front.

I don't know what powder or bullet yet. I'll start off using what my buddy is using and progress through the off season. My main concern was if the 24 inch barrel would give the desired results for elk hunting or if the 26" would be a lot better. I would always prefer the shorter gun as it would be easier to shoulder and carry.

What load is your buddy shooting?
Open sights and not knowing load i would lean towards26"
Usually long barrel are on better option gun.
More info would help making recommendation

What model guns you cking out

I don't know the load. Sorry. I'll ask him at work tomorrow. I'm looking at the TC Impact or the CVA Wolf in stainless. I don't want to spend a ton of money until I see how serious we get about it. It's going to be hard enough to get the time between bow hunting and rifle season. But no matter what, we are going this season for sure.

Cva optima is right at that price range and a fine Muzzleloader for the money.
Do some looking can buy very reasonable.
Midwayusa and natchez shooter supply have good prices many times on sale

I've been looking at the Optima also. They are all very reasonably priced. The scopes on all of my hunting rifles are more.

CVA Optima is a good gun. One thing I like about them is they aren't finicky about what you load them with. Might be something to consider. What your buddy shoots might not work in whatever gun you get.

Barrel length is not a factor at all in your case.

Greg

I went and looked at them again tonight. The TC Impact looks very cheap and I have ruled it out. I'm leaning towards the CVA Optima in the fluted stainless barrel but I have not ruled out the CVA Wolf.

CVA Optima II 26" Stainless Fluted-$259

CVA Wolf 24"-$169

I'm buying one of them tomorrow.

I vote optima

100 gr volume blackhorn powder and Barnes290 tez bullets and federal209A magnum primer s
Hoppes9 cleaner.
This is awesome load for this optima..

Optima. 100 grns black horn. 300 grn .452 dia Hornady xtp Harvester short smooth black sabot Federal 209A primer. This is also economical at the range if you want to do a lot of shooting.

I just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse. I bought the CVA Optima II Stainless with the 26" barrel. The barrel is fluted and it only weighs 4 ounces more than the 24" Wolf. Sunday I'm going to go with my buddy and shoot it. I'm going to use his powder, bullets and stuff and then start deciding on what "stuff" I want to buy. As the off season gets started, I'm sure I'll be on here with many more questions. Thanks for all the info!!

Back