Barrel Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know. Another dumb question. Despite having shot my inlines for years I've often wondered just how the .45 slug inside the .50 caliber sabot is given its twist. The sabot makes it bore tight, right? But most of the bullet is inside the sabot. How does the rifling "grip" the bullet itself to get it spinning? When in its transit through the barrel after ignition does the bullet leave the sabot? Thank you. Kim

The sabot and bullet should load tight enough so the sabot gives the bullet a nice big hug while the barrels rifling grabs the sabot and spins it. Since the bullet is right in the sabot the bullet spins as well. The petals on the sabot open like a flower and let go of the bullet about 25 yards out.

The sabot and bullet should load tight enough so the sabot gives the bullet a nice big hug while the barrels rifling grabs the sabot and spins it. Since the bullet is right in the sabot the bullet spins as well. The petals on the sabot open like a flower and let go of the bullet about 25 yards out.
Exactly!

Latest posts

Back