beautiful barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture perfect! What's the story that goes with it???

bullet-flowers.jpg

760289e090c834b1e973b0b787a429f5.jpg

Bullet-Bouquets-2.jpg

Those flower pots look like golden sabers. What bullets are they?

not much of a story for me. Our 2nd of to many gun seasons here in illinois and i was set up over looking a cut bean field. I was not expecting any activity. Especially since i parked my polaris ranger about 10 feet from my treestand. Getting late in the year and im getting lazy. Well with only a few minutes of shooting time left i spot two deer way out in the field. I grabbed my triumph and my primos shooting stick. While looking through my burris signature select 3.5-10 ballistic plex cranked up to ten power i held 4th dot down on the reticle. I had ranged the deer several times and knew that my 2nd dot down was good for 200yds so my 3rd dot should be good for 250. So i took a few deep breaths and "practice shots" before i cocked the hammer. I felt good. So i prepared for the real shot, felt good hold and slow squeeze, kaboom! The other deer of the two hopped and looked back for the friend. I thought...damn i hit that deer, then it ran off. So i took my time climbed down from the tree. Took 3 steps over to my 4 wheeler and put my things away. I knew i wouldnt be hunting agian till next weekend and didnt want to reload on a dirty barrel. So i cleaned the barrel and flash channel for good measure and reloaded. It was about 20 minutes post shot as i was walking through the field to the approximate location where the deer was standing. I didnt plan on finding any blood in the dirt so i was mainly looking for a body since i never saw it leave the field. Sure enough about 50yds away it lay dead. Bullet entered back of ribs just below spine and stopped in the opposite side rear thigh after busting the femer. I was very happy with how everything came together and worked as it should. I walked back and got my ranger, drove straight to the deer, loaded and left. Pretty easy!

Nice! I thought Barnes didn't open up and only penciled through? :roll:

Same Barnes 285gr bullet, same media but two different powder charges. The slower one failed to expand. I did this test after shooting a deer one year with less than stellar results. The deer did die but i saw no sign of expansion. He also did not react like ive seen in the past. I assumed i had missed.

Bottom bullet was 90gr of BH209. Top was 110gr of BH209.
Spitfire285gr90gr110gr.jpg

Now i stick to the older style Expander MZ and XPBs with the large hollow point. The 451 275gr XPB can expand poorly too. It also has a small HP like the 285gr Spitfire. Occasionally i do use the Barnes 300gr 458SOCOM bullet that is tipped but i keep MV high and shots fairly close.

Barnes does claim at least 950fps to expand. I believe its 950.
even if it doesnt expand, you still have a .45 hole being made. Is that not enough? Hope did all those bad guys die in the war by being shot with a 1911 .45 round ball? I'd rather have a bullet not expand then to disintegrate.

The 285 and other Spitfires with the smaller hollow point are better driven faster. Not always, but better expansion comes with higher velocity. The small hollow pointed bullets of the MZ Spitfires have poised problems for others when shot at lower velocities.
The T-EZ, TMZ and Expanders expand very well, even at lower velocities.

If i wanted a non expanding bullet, i would use a hard cast with a good meplat for a few pennies a piece. They kill very well and performance is very predictable. I don't choose a Barnes bullet hoping it wont expand. I don't use FMJs for home defense either.

There is quick killing by massive trauma (shock) and slow killing by blood loss. The Articles of War set forth at the Hague conventions ban expanding type bullets. As long as your enemy is not able to return fire the bullet was effective and more than likely another enemy is needed to deliver medical care to the severely wounded.

Its not a very good comparison to a hunting situation.

This is the 300gr SOCOM in and out. The expansion is obvious. The heart nearly exploded.
SOCOMInOut.jpg

I have nothing against Barnes. I love the little 225gr XPB made for 45LC. People just need to be aware that not all Barnes react the same. Some are much better performers at higher speeds and some work fine over a wider range of impact speeds.

outdoorsmen said:
Barnes does claim at least 950fps to expand. I believe its 950.
even if it doesnt expand, you still have a .45 hole being made. Is that not enough? Hope did all those bad guys die in the war by being shot with a 1911 .45 round ball? I'd rather have a bullet not expand then to disintegrate.

Actually, a non expanding spire point bullet will fail sometimes. The bullet is spinning, and will do a lot more damage when expanded. The Barnes has those sharp petals to rip flesh. If it doesn't expand it leaves a hole, but nowhere near enough damage sometimes.

If a bullet is made to not expand it will have a big meplat. They do almost as much damage as an expanded spire point bullet.

GM54-120 said:
This is the 300gr SOCOM in and out. The expansion is obvious. The heart nearly exploded.
SOCOMInOut.jpg

I have nothing against Barnes. I love the little 225gr XPB made for 45LC. People just need to be aware that not all Barnes react the same. Some are much better performers at higher speeds and some work fine over a wider range of impact speeds.

That sucks the heart exploded. The heart is my favorite to cook up. Extremely tasty. :D

This is the 300gr SOCOM in and out. The expansion is obvious. are this 458 dia?? made a good size hole WORM

Barnes 250gr TMZ at 200yds, powered by 107grs BH209. The shear number I've taken with that bullet and all have done the same or worse.

Latest posts

Back