Been a while.... Disc Extreme 52 Cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsasc

Reaction score
Well it has been a while since I've played in the black powder game. End of last year I picked up a thumbhole stock disc extreme in 52 Cal. The breech plug is that long extended breech plug and I've heard that's not really what I want to use....?? I've kind of started reading about going with a 209 bare breech plug from Lehigh and a bolt conversion and a vent something????? All of which I am trying to understand. I would like to enjoy the heck out of this gun but I want to make it as user-friendly as possible....(so no red 209 Capps or orange discs) so if someone can tell me exactly what I might need for this thing and pictures would help greatly also. And on top of that if someone wanted to chat on the phone that would even be better as well then I can ask questions after I've seen the pictures.

Thank you to any and all that might help me,

Greg

Last edited:
Buy the Lehigh breech plug and bare primer adapter, and go to sabotloaders primer shimming directions and have at it, great shooting guns. I shoot 110 grains of 777 ff with a 325 ftx , outstanding accuracy and performance

This setup will only work if your extreme is set up to shoot the red FPJ 209. If it is set up as a western model that shoots #11 caps or musket caps then you will need a new bolt body too.

Im pretty sure the Power Stem plugs only came in red FPJ. So all you need is the lehigh plug and adapter for the bolt. A pack of extra vent liners is a good idea too. So that is $16.50+$14.50+$22.00 and about $8 shipping. Then you are pretty much good to go for bare primer and any powder. (Real black or subs)

325gr FTX in the grey sabots is a solid combo and can pretty much duplicate the Hornady Leverevolution ammo ballistics.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/45-70-government-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

I shoot the 275 g Barnes bullets from knight over 110gV of BH209. Great accuracy should be deadly, now I need to find a deer to cooperate.

The Lehigh/Bloodline 275s are extremely good too. There are a few options in 250gr for .458 if you dont want/need the extra recoil/FPE. Barnes and Hornady both offer a 250gr for reloading 45-70.

I would not use the power stem plug I would get a Lehigh plug with vent liner.
The power stem flash hole is over .035, I have 2 brand new plug that are .038.

Thank you guys very much I appreciate the help more than you know.... Where/what source are you guys getting all the bullets and the 52 Cal sabots from?? And I'm also trying to understand the vent liners I've never dealt with that I have an MK 85 that I've just loved over the years so this extreme is new for me so if somebody can explain or tell me where to go look at a video dealing with the vent liners and also the adapter for my bolt I would appreciate it.
Not being the type to mess around I already purchased / ordered the parts that were suggested above.

Thank you very much again, Greg

I buy my bulk ftx from midway, and sabots from knight, I don’t think you have any other option with the sabots

Knight rifle has sale during the holidays buy one get one free this is what I do on the sabots 50 ct and I buy the Hornady FTX 325 in bulk of 50 you just have to shop around its going to be hard right now.
But if you do have a hard time finding sabot and bullets let me know I’ll set you up with some for free.

the vent liner goes in the front of the breach plug and you use a hex to get it in and out.
The reason for the vent liner is that the flash hole will open up and your accuracy will diminish so replacing the vent is cheaper then buying a new plug.

I don’t have any pic but when I get home I’ll take some pic.

Last edited:
mine shoots the 475 dia XTP good... and the 300 gr remington HP same bullet remington loads in the 45/70...

Knight rifle has sale during the holidays buy one get one free this is what I do on the sabots 50 ct and I buy the Hornady FTX 325 in bulk of 50 you just have to shop around its going to be hard right now.
But if you do have a hard time finding sabot and bullets let me know I’ll set you up with some for free.

the vent liner goes in the front of the breach plug and you use a hex to get it in and out.
The reason for the vent liner is that the flash hole will open up and your accuracy will diminish so replacing the vent is cheaper then buying a new plug.

I don’t have any pic but when I get home I’ll take some pic.
Thank you very much I would appreciate it

Latest posts

Back