Best Bases and Rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
Any suggestions? They will be going on a new Sav.10Ml.Thanks

Tar-12 said:

Nothing but WARNE rings and bases will do. Weaver Grand Slam bases will work too since they are the same as Warne. :wink:

dwhunter said:
Tar-12 said:

Nothing but WARNE rings and bases will do. Weaver Grand Slam bases will work too since they are the same as Warne. :wink:

What he said!! WARNE - PERIOD for me.

Tar-12 said:

Until lately...I would be saying the same thing as the rest of these guys. Now I prefer the Talley Lightweight one-piece mounts. The reason I say "mounts" is that there isn't seperate bases and rings as with conventional "scope mounts." There are only four pieces to the mounts plus the necessary screws, that's it. Here's a pic of the bottom half of the mount all ready mounted to a 10ML-II and the next pic is with the Leupold Ultralight 3-9 mounted.

2005rangepics%20059.jpg

2005rangepics%20060.jpg

They're lighter and less parts to me means MUCH less mounting hassle(REALLY the easiest to mount a scope!) and potentially less parts to loosen, at least theoretically.

The Warne bases rings have given me EXCELLENT service EXCEPT on 10ML-IIs where several(myself included) have had some base mounting issues. I currently am using three sets of the exact same mount; 1 on Kristels Savage, 1 on Savage #IV, and 1 on my ULA and am going to swap out the Warnes on my Henry Ball to the Talley to see if that will solve it's accuracy woes.

I'm using the Talley One-piece "low" mounts. My Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 fits perfectly in these mounts on the 10L-II with adequate room for a "scope glove." A scope with a larger objective will require a higher mount. Here is the Midway USA link to the exact mounts I have:

My Talley Mounts

big6x6 said:
Tar-12 said:

Until lately...I would be saying the same thing as the rest of these guys. Now I prefer the Talley Lightweight one-piece mounts. The reason I say "mounts" is that there isn't seperate bases and rings as with conventional "scope mounts." There are only four pieces to the mounts plus the necessary screws, that's it. Here's a pic of the bottom half of the mount all ready mounted to a 10ML-II and the next pic is with the Leupold Ultralight 3-9 mounted.

2005rangepics%20059.jpg

2005rangepics%20060.jpg

They're lighter and less parts to me means MUCH less mounting hassle(REALLY the easiest to mount a scope!) and potentially less parts to loosen, at least theoretically.

The Warne bases rings have given me EXCELLENT service EXCEPT on 10ML-IIs where several(myself included) have had some base mounting issues. I currently am using three sets of the exact same mount; 1 on Kristels Savage, 1 on Savage #IV, and 1 on my ULA and am going to swap out the Warnes on my Henry Ball to the Talley to see if that will solve it's accuracy woes.

I'm using the Talley One-piece "low" mounts. My Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 fits perfectly in these mounts on the 10L-II with adequate room for a "scope glove." A scope with a larger objective will require a higher mount. Here is the Midway USA link to the exact mounts I have:

My Talley Mounts

I wanted to try those but as you can see from the pics they do not allow much movement rearward for the scope.

I wanted to try those but as you can see from the pics they do not allow much movement rearward for the scope.

Now that's TRUE...and I've ALWAYS wondered why Savage has the holes for the mounts/bases so far apart! There's PLENEY of room for an extra screw hole, look at all that unused receiver there. At any rate, Talley DOES make extension models that should help you there if you need it.

I could only find the regular Weavers mounts at Gander Mountain, no Grand Slams. Any issues or problems with the regulars?

I plan on either Leupold QR rings or the Warne. I'll have to order the Warnes, the Leo's I can get locally.

Now to find powder :twisted:

dwhunter said:
big6x6 said:
Tar-12 said:

2005rangepics%20059.jpg

2005rangepics%20060.jpg

My Talley Mounts

No problem for Leupolds. :wink: :)

I'd go with Talley or Warne's. I used Leupold for years, and they are excellent, but I think the former are slightly more secure. Can't go wrong with any of the three. Talley will be far and away the most expensive, I believe.

Back