Best bullet weight of .223AR type rifle for coyotes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
For the hunters who use a .223 AR for predator hunting, what is the best bullet weight to use? I know you need an accurate round but with so many weights to choose from I'm just wondering what most people use. I'm new to hunting coyotes and really don't have a clue so any help will go a long ways for me. I guess that the FMJ rounds are totally out or am I wrong assuming this? I do need to keep the cost down as low as possible and still make a respectable shot and quick kill. Even animals like coyotes deserve to be dispatched quickly. Thanks.

The one that shoots the best groups and is legal in your area. The rate of twist varies in ARs based on application and desired bullet weight. The faster the twist the heavier or longer bullets are commonly used.

Ive used plenty of FMJs on yotes. They leave nice pin holes quite often and help keep the pelt values a bit higher. If you just want them dead, use what ever shoots best in yours. A well placed FMJ will result in a yote just as dead as a Varmint grenade if well placed.

In a 223 I like to err on the side of a heavier/ regular soft point bullet. Even in a 243 I like the 85 grn Gameking. In the 223 I like the lightweight frangible bullets for prairie dogs & such. The chances of a 'splash wound' with bone or other hits are there with the lighter bullets. I had a good hit years back on a large midwinter coyote, just 50 yards with a 45 grn factory load, a fair trail but never recovered.

I've also seen it take multiple shots with FMJs to do the job. Nothing worse that the coyote making an escape. My vote is for a 55 grn softpoint/gameking type bullet. My current favorite setup is a 243 with 85 grn gamekings. That load handles them with authority, even when you have to take the long way to the vitals.

Muskrat I just ordered a couple boxes of Fiocchi 50gr V-Max to give a try. I'm just getting into coyote hunting so I really don't know what to use. My I bought a box a couple of months ago while I was breaking in my AR barrel and my gun shoots them extremely well. If I can get a shot I soon find out how they work. Thanks.

My AR has a 1:8 twist barrel and I shoot handloaded 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in it for coyotes.

go to the range set up ur target at 200 yds...buy 3 to 4 different bullets and your barrel will show u which ones are more acurate for YOUR rifle ..

Back