Best solution to barrel handling marks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Traded for some items a few weeks ago. Just got to going through the lot and was delighted to find a Green Mountain 50 caliber slow twist barrel. The gentleman I got this from had little black powder (firearms) knowledge. He had attempted to ping the front sight on but didn't secure the barrel in the vise with leather resulting in marks on the barrel. Rifling is great but cosmetic exterior damage is done. Thoughts on correcting are welcome.
My first instinct is to have a gunsmith cut 2 inches off the barrel.

Attachments

• PXL_20230601_011815664.jpg
    PXL_20230601_011815664.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Traded for some items a few weeks ago. Just got to going through the lot and was delighted to find a Green Mountain 50 caliber slow twist barrel. The gentleman I got this from had little black powder (firearms) knowledge. He had attempted to ping the front sight on but didn't secure the barrel in the vise with leather resulting in marks on the barrel. Rifling is great but cosmetic exterior damage is done. Thoughts on correcting are welcome.
How are you at re-blueing? I might gently lightly stroke it a few times with a small file, then rub it with some steel wool… if you can make a good blueing repair.

Those appear to be pretty substantial “handling” marks. When I read the title I was expecting fingerprints. 🤔

You may be able to file and sand those out. Tough to say. Easiest would be chop the barrel, recrown and cut a new dovetail.

Those appear to be pretty substantial “handling” marks. When I read the title I was expecting fingerprints. 🤔

You may be able to file and sand those out. Tough to say. Easiest would be chop the barrel, recrown and cut a new dovetail.
That's what my initial thought was, still looking for alternative solution. It is a 32 inch barrel so 2 inches isn't going be noticeable.

Im not one who cares about the cosmetics so i wouldnt care about those dingers. They can be fixed as easily as cutting the barrel down, maybe more easily. Leave it alone til you can get it fixed and blued. Nothing wrong with it the way it is.

You can't get rid of those dings completely but a little file and/or sanding work before refinishing the barrel won't let it stand out as it does now.

You can't get rid of those dings completely but a little file and/or sanding work before refinishing the barrel won't let it stand out as it does now.
Took you-all's advice and filed /sanded. Then used a aluminum oxide grinding/polishing wheel. Turned out a hell lot better than I thought it would. Thanks for suggestions.

Attachments

• PXL_20230606_140810481.jpg
    PXL_20230606_140810481.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Draw filing and Brownelles OXPHO-BLUE will make it right ,and your instinct will cost a bunch !! And wacking 2 inch off a GM barrel is plain silly for shooting or selling!!!/Ed

i have had to draw file several oops'es like those shown, usually at the breach. when you can always draw file those out rather than chop the barrel.
just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back