Your best “rescue” stories, related to BP firearms?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don`t know if this counts as a rescue,but here goes; My first Bp gun was a CVA Blazer . I bought it used from my local sporting goods store.After using it for about a season and a half,the screws holding the barrel to the stock stripped out, rendering the gun inoperable.It got put in a box and shoved under a bed . Fast forward 15 years,I heard about a recall on this particular gun .After contacting Cva I shipped it back and they swapped it for a CVa Optima.{GOOD TRADE}.

Maybe not a rescue “proper,” but possibly even better- you took an unserviceable rifle and “turned it into” a brand new rifle!

Bravo!

i've read some great comments about CVA's service ! thanks for sharing yours chubby ninja .

babstooge there are some fine folks here that are very generous about sharing their knowledge and experiences !
and no one has made me regret asking silly/stupid questions or being wishy washy asking about different but similar products :)
but i do try to use the search function here ;)

My rescue gun is a Tracker "Deer Hunter" that was given to me. It wouldn't shoot for the previous owner. After getting the breech plug out and scrubbing the bore for hours, I felt comfortable with trying to shoot it with the components that came with it. I placed a bullet in a sabot and had to pound the damn thing all the way down the bore. A gentleman from this group was kind enough to explain the differences in sabot sizes and bullet compatibility. After measuring the bullets I found the first issue. I purchased some TC shockwaves that were 250 gr along with some fresh pyrodex powder. My barrel polishing must have helped because this bullet/ sabot combo seated with minimal force. Using a charge of 90 grains and a musket cap, I tried to sight the gun in. I found that #11 caps worked better with the right nipple ( 2nd issue). Somewhere after hours of cleaning, reading and listening to some sound advice from another BP shooter , I started shooting ok groups then it was suggested that I try a 200gr bullet / sabot combo. This combo made this gun shoot very well. I could actually shoot a 3" group at 100 yds once I put a scope on the gun. My free gun shoots very well now and has taken some nice deer. It gets cleaned after each outing and has earned a spot in the lineup.

As an old guy with too many "rescue projects" sitting around for decades, I have learned a few things. First - Junk remains junk no matter how long you keep it. Second - If you think finding parts for something is difficult when you first take it home, wait 40 years. Now it will be impossible to find parts - but if you do, those parts will cost more than the gun is worth. Third, if, on the rare occasion the stars align and Haley's comet crosses the sky and you actually DO resurrect one, some moron will knock it over and bust off that one rare part you waited decades to acquire.

Every old gun you save is ....in the end ....still just another old gun. Oh well. It's been fun.

Recently got a Navy Arms/Pietta 12 gauge double with parts missing from both locks and no screw to hold them on also the bores look awful I cleaned the bores with green scotch brite and then used some fine sandpaper on a rod that I chucked up in a drill and polished some more and it how looks like almost new .just yesterday I received two locks that fit perfect that I found on Ebay .It is fully functional and good looking as well .Now some birds and squirrels will get blasted. Next I was given a CVA wolf magnum that was very rusty on inside so I reamed it out to a smooth bore it is about a 32 gauge now and no rust but I may make it a 28 gauge so I can find components easier

Back