Best time of year for new muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWMichMuzz

Reaction score
I have been looking for a while at various brands and models and am leaning towards a CVA Accura in either MR or V2.

Is there a certain time of year new models come out that I should wait to see what’s new?

Malwart does have the best prices now, if not the best selection. I believe they get a cheaper version CVA made just for them. No down side to the MR if you get it in nitride. imo

Interesting, I’ve spoken to m-l.com and they had some nice prices. Never shop at Walmart but I’ll look there. Just didn’t want to get a new one and a couple weeks later some studly 2020 model gets released:)

Both of the rifles you list are great. I personally would choose the Nitride MR. Fits me better.
Also I’d recommend a BH209 breech plug upgrade if you’re going to shoot BH209. I would highly recommend it.
110gr by volume with a 225-275 Fury Star will be an excellent deer stopper

Greg

Thanks for replies. I do plan to get the 209 breach plug and starting with Barnes T-ez bullets in 250, 290 and see what works best. I hunt mostly woods so 100 yards is plenty for now.

I’m holding out for a bit hoping cva comes out with a 45 cal accura MR...think they announced their new models around shot show last year, so won’t have to wait long to know if it’s an option

Yeah I know. I just never have gotten loads up that high. Im not shooting past 100-125 yards and don't need to load that hot. Im sure it shoots great that hot. Lotta folks doing it. Plus, now im only shooting lead.

Thanks for replies. I do plan to get the 209 breach plug and starting with Barnes T-ez bullets in 250, 290 and see what works best. I hunt mostly woods so 100 yards is plenty for now.

Might I suggest this BH 209 breech plug: https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=308 and Fed 209A primers for an Accura V2, if you decide on that rifle? I get no blow by with this set up in my Accura V2.

I will wager you get better groups with the 290 out of an Accura V2. Barnes are wonderful bullets for sure, but please don't write off the Lehigh Controlled Fracturing/Bloodline bullet.

I recently purchased an Accura V2 thumbhole stock w/nitride finish from m-l.com, shipping was fast and easy with what looked like a great price for the specific model I wanted.

I’ve shot the Barnes for years and they shoot well and are devastating on deer when proper shot placement is achieved, since they can be expensive and sometimes hard to come by I tried a few different bullet/sabot combos earlier this year and fell in love with the Harvester 260 grain Scorpions, both my ML’s will shoot sub MOA with these. Took 4 shots to sight in my new Accura with a new Leupold mounted on top, plus the Harvester Scorpions cost less than half of the Barnes.

Malwart does have the best prices now, if not the best selection. I believe they get a cheaper version CVA made just for them. No downside to the MR if you get it in nitride. imo
Ya wouldn't wanna be a ML shooter-hunter here in Fl brotha. In Maryland where I grew up is a pretty big ML shooting & hunting state.There isn't hardly anything ML related anywhere down here. Walmart has only 1 or 2 MLs in their store, not much else (they did surprisingly have the 10oz bottles of BH 209 for 34.00) & we all know what DICKS sporting goods has done so thats the only other place anywhere close to here for anything ML even finding primers NOPE not unless I go all the way to Gainesville (the closest thing to a city) to here. I had to get all ( except BH 209 & LRPs ) ordered online. I had to go to Bass Pro shop in Gainesville just to get my LRPs. Not payin 20.00 Hazmat fee for 5.00 in primers, so I spent 10.00 in gas & took the long trip & had fun for a cpl hrs in ´big boy wonderland.

Ya wouldn't wanna be a ML shooter-hunter here in Fl brotha. In Maryland where I grew up is a pretty big ML shooting & hunting state.There isn't hardly anything ML related anywhere down here. Walmart has only 1 or 2 MLs in their store, not much else (they did surprisingly have the 10oz bottles of BH 209 for 34.00) & we all know what DICKS sporting goods has done so thats the only other place anywhere close to here for anything ML even finding primers NOPE not unless I go all the way to Gainesville (the closest thing to a city) to here. I had to get all ( except BH 209 & LRPs ) ordered online. I had to go to Bass Pro shop in Gainesville just to get my LRPs. Not payin 20.00 Hazmat fee for 5.00 in primers, so I spent 10.00 in gas & took the long trip & had fun for a cpl hrs in ´big boy wonderland.
Do you get to ML hunt for gators?
I love to hunt in the cold and snow so i have to stay up here in the north. I will come down south to hunt pigs tho.

Back