Better Options for Open Sights?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
Is ti just me, or do the stock open sights on muzzleloaders leave a lot to be desired??? :(

I am not real pleased with the supplied open sights on my Triumph...mainly because the fiber optic pipes are not bright...they just don't stand out and provide a decent sight picture, especially in low-light conditions! :( :( :(

So what options do I have?

Aftermarket peep sight may improve the rear sight, but I would still like to get a front sight with a highly visible fiber optic pipe!

Does anyone have any suggestions from a set-up that is superior to the stock supplied open sights???
:idea:
Joe

Rear williams peep with a "twilight peep" which has a larger opening than a stock peep.

Front fiberoptic sight. The Globe sight makes a good one. Very small and bright.

I center the front sight and use the "6 o'clock" hold (setting the bullseye on TOP of the front sight).

I have the T/C Optic rear sight and Hi-Viz front sight. I have Green fiber optic for both the front and rear sights and they stand out just fine in the early morning and dusk hours.

I like the fiber optics on my NEF Sidekick a lot , the sights on my
Knight Extreme I don't like so much. Both are made by Williams.

Here are some differences that I noticed.

The the "fiber" is thicker on the Sidekick about .065" vs .035" for the Knight. I think this is what makes the biggest difference.

The front sight is red on the Sidekick. I think red shows up better against
a variety of backgrounds, it needs to, it's a single dot further away from your eye. At the rear, light green works fine, since it is closer to your eyes, and there are two dots. The Knight has the green in front, red in back.

On Sidekick the notch on the rear sight between the two dots is a perfect short "U" shape. The front dot lays in there nicely for a very positive sight
picture. I don't feel like I have to hunt around to get things lined up.

I put a Williams peep on the Knight. It has a screw in aperture which
I can leave in or out for different peep sizes. This works fine for shooting
paper. Yesterday I took a dry run walk about in the woods I hunt, I found
the peep tended to fuzz out in the dark woods. I felt like obscured the
3 deer I was watching at about 40 yards in the dark under growth.
I feel like open sights or a low power scope would work better for me.
Peep sights might work better with leaves off the trees and snow on the ground, or on open ground.

This is what I've noticed, your mileage may vary.

sights

I just ordered a fire sight peep to go on the ramp on my regular williams peep ramp, it goes on my encore. I will let you know how it works. I bought it for colorado if I ever draw out. 10 pref points and waitin til next year agin!
Wayles

Back