BH-209 MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MK-85 is a hammer striker model rifle. Even if it has the red primer 209 jackets I am not sure it would give you good results, but I am not 100% sure of this. With out a 209 ignition system forget even trying Black Horn. I have shot BlackHorn out of my Disc with the orange primer jacket and it worked fine. I also tried it in a Black Diamond XR with 209 but no jacket. It fired, it hang fired, and it blew primer all over the place.

I have used BH-209 successfully in a .45 cal Wolverine 209 using the FPJ breech plug. I have had no hangfires from 20 to 90 degrees F. It does cause some primers to come unglued from the primer cup but I have always found them between the striker and the breech plug.

This past weekend I tested the same striker in my MK-85 with the non-FPJ breech plug and I had some hang fires. The MK-85/W209 NFPJ breech plug has a dome on the powder side and may be the reason for the hang fires. Also, the blow back was really bad. The NFPJ breech plug uses a magnet to keep the 209 primer seated. On the second shot, I had this magnet come out of the breech plug. I do not recommend this combination. 90 grs of BH209 did well but 100 did not. I stopped my BH209 testing with the NFPJ breech plug right there.

Back