BH 209 woes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
I just got an email from MidwayUSA that the Blackhorn 209 had been discontinued and would no longer be available. I had emailed Hodgdon a couple weeks ago, with no answer. So I called them. I got an answering 3 times, so I emailed them again.

Surely they are not going to discontinue the best thing that ever happened to muzzle loading!

Surely they are not going to discontinue the best thing that ever happened to muzzle loading!

Midway maybe doesn't want it to go away but I'll bet Hodgedon does since they already had a fence around the crap for powder market and just purchased western powders.

If I limit my shooting during the off season I have enough 209 powder and bullets for maybe four or five years. Plenty of the Winchester 209 shot shell primers too. Given my health issues I probably will not out last the powder, bullet or primers.

Maybe start writing to the other powder companies asking them to please make a powder that mirrors the BH209. Maybe one of them would like to sucker punch Hodgedon, eh?

Chris H. and VP Aaron O. responded to an email I sent them - that it is truly demand that driving the lack of supply.
They are currently running at max capacity and plan to ship more BH209 this year than last.

Thats some good news. I would like to see them ship it in 1LB containers instead of the 10oz nonsense. Just my opinion.
The Stuff was already Extremely hard for me to get prior to recent events as it was never available locally here. I had to get it from out of state. As of now, I just obtained 5 bottles of 777 so thats what I plan to shoot. Not sure I will go back, unless things make it easier for me to get. ☹

Powder Inc has always sent to my door OE BP and includes every thing reasonable up to 50Lbs small amounts (5 LBS) at a higher price but still cheap /Ed

I was talking about online. That's the only way I can buy it. No shop near me carry it.

This is what I got:
Discontinued Product Notification
You requested we notify you when this product was back in-stock; unfortunately the product has been discontinued and will no longer be available from MidwayUSA.

BlackHorn 209 Black Powder ...

This is what I got:
Discontinued Product Notification
You requested we notify you when this product was back in-stock; unfortunately the product has been discontinued and will no longer be available from MidwayUSA.

BlackHorn 209 Black Powder ...
They may have been talking about the 5 lb jug since that's what's pictured rather than Blackhorn itself.

Does anyone have any experience with American Pioneer powder ?

Up here in Alaska one gunshop carries goex and our big box stores carry only substitutes. Sportsmans has a bunch of BH209 and 777.

We cant get Swiss 2F up here.

That is on line ,nobody by me has it either but I get 25 LBs delivered last yr was $17-18 per LB total ervery thing included ,nothing easier

You missed my point. A month ago nobody online had any 2F or 3F in stock. Some small gun shops might have some but only those who live near them would know. NONE of the companies that sell black powder online had any 2F-3F powder. I checked them all.

I just checked Powder Inc and they they'll have it Feb, so they have it now.

Last edited:
Sent email yesterday and received this reply

Hello Jay, We plan to continue offering Blackhorn 209 powder. When we took over Western powders all Blackhorn 209 for 2020 had already been shipped. We have this powder currently being made and expect it to start showing up retail around late February or Early March.

Thank you

Luke Otte
Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218

That’s pretty much the same message as I got from them yesterday. I know that I found the only 10oz jar for sale in Hamilton Ontario last weekend.

Everything seems in short supply right now but it’s still better than at the start of this pandemic. Here in Southern Ontario the shelves were bare for ages due to panic buying.

One day it’ll all be over and the shelves will be full again!!

Sent email yesterday and received this reply

Hello Jay, We plan to continue offering Blackhorn 209 powder. When we took over Western powders all Blackhorn 209 for 2020 had already been shipped. We have this powder currently being made and expect it to start showing up retail around late February or Early March.

Thank you

Luke Otte
Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218
Awe cool! Thanks for posting that. The thing is, is the ridiculous price it has jumped to in this last yr going to remain, go up, come down??? BC really, the freakin heck with 50.00 10oz bottles & 300.00 5lb bottles plus shipping & HM fee gouging thats been goin on too it just too much.

That’s pretty much the same message as I got from them yesterday. I know that I found the only 10oz jar for sale in Hamilton Ontario last weekend.

Everything seems in short supply right now but it’s still better than at the start of this pandemic. Here in Southern Ontario the shelves were bare for ages due to panic buying.

One day it’ll all be over and the shelves will be full again!!
Keep believing that ,Bet you have unicorns too !/Ed

Back