BH hangfires...hmmmm?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot twice more after that (I was sighting in for my 300gr bullet instead of my 250gr). Both shots were fine. It was weird. After I discovered the bullet 3/4 down the bore, I wasn't really sure what to do. I packed it back down and figured I'd try again, just to clear the barrel. I was a little surprised that it went off at all, and then quite surprised that there was enough uumph to get it down the range. For the bullet to have been moved down the bore the first shot some powder must have burned, but apparently not much of it. As I said before, I'm really not sure what happened or what I would do differently in the future. If it happens again, I will try different primers I guess.

I hunt in northern Canada and hunt with BH209 since November 2007.

Never get a hangfire or misfire in my two cans of powder shot in cold weather. I always use Win209 or CCI209M with an Omega, a Kodiak and a Wolf Magnum. Use 250 gr SST's.

I shot a doe last night right at dark. About twenty five minutes after sunset. It had been loaded for about a week with 100 gr BH and 200 gr SW. It was about twelve degrees. I had brought the gun in every night for about five days. Sometimes there are deer in my yard so didn't want to leave it outside. The deer was only about fifty yards. When the smoke cleared, which only took about a second from the strong cross wind, I didn't see her. She was already down in the grass. She was quartering towards me. Made about a inch hole going out. Love the Bh and 200 gr SW. I completed my challenge of four deer with four different weapons. Bow, 257 Ackley, 222 mag, and muzzle loader. In the 222, I used 53 gr Barns triple shock. That little bullet sure did a lot of damage.

Back