BH209 and Breachplug Cleaning...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
Since I started using BH209 in my Encore and KP1, I have only been able to get 12-15 shots before hangfires start to happen. After removing and cleaning the plugs, I am good to go for another session. That said, I'm wondering if I'm cleaning them out thoroughly enough because it just doesn't seem right that I get hangfires that soon after cleaning. So, what am I doing wrong?? I love the accuracy and easy cleanup when using BH209, but am getting frustrated with the hangfires.

Are you cleaning out the end of the breech plug?The hole next to the primer can build up with carbon. I know in the encore you can clean it out with a 1/8 inch drill bit. Make sure that you do this by hand. I did it the last time I had my Omega out and after 10 shots there was a good bit of carbon build up when I got home to clean it. I haven't noticed any hangfires yet but I have only shot it between 8 and 10 times each time i took it to the range. I would think that if you give it a good cleaning and use the drill bit that you will get more than 12 - 15 shots. Let me know if this helps.

I just picked up some Montana extreme gun cleaner cleans barrel and breech just great. I use a q tip and push a needle through the flash hole. No problems with miss fire's I use 25 acp with cci magum primers

I've used a drill bit on the Savage to clean out the plug, never thought about it for the Encore! I'll give that a try and see what happens. I've just been soaking them in Windex and using a pipe stem cleaner to rub out the fouling buildup.

There is a pen light battery operated screw driver Walmart sells that comes with a wood bit [spiral drill] that cleans the carbon out quite well I don't even take the breach plug out I just turn the gun vertical so the carbon follows the drill out and clean it out about every 10 or 12 shots. Lee

BH209 & Breach PLug cleaning.

I've mentioned on different threads that I have had the same problem as John S. , w/my CVA Kodiak Magnum. I am on my 3rd jug of BH209 & noticed early on that I had to pay extra attention to the "P R I M E R END" of the breachplug, usimg the HANDHELD drill to return the PRIMER hole bac k to original size. I only had one misfire & it was after the 11th shot of a recent session. I pushed a nipple pick in the hole and ran it back & forth a few times at the range & on the second attempt that load fired. The carbon residue comes out of the BP as a dry powder dust after using the drill. My drill is the next size SMALLER than 1/8"

The breachplug is the FIRST thing I clean thoroughly when I get home.
I love the BH209 , but it does have a few drawbacks, such as cost, availabilty, lower weight than other powders(10 Oz.) per container, and the carbon residues. BUT.....it has me shooting my ML a lot more than ever b4.
Art :wink:

breech plug

I have had to use the old 1/8 drill bit on my encore even when I was still shooting T7. T7 and BH209 seem to build up about the same to me. We just had the crud ring to deal with and it kept our mind off of the little breech plug thing
Wayles

wayles
I wondered if I was the only one that had the carbon in the breach plug with T7, I noticed that I only had the problem with 777win primers, I wonder if hot enough primes would affect the carbon formed in front of the 209 with BH, or if its just the Win 209 and the CCI 209 that do it. Lee

breech plug

Hi Lee
I have shot remington and winchester T7 primers and they both caused the build up. I presently shoot the win regular primers with the Bh209 i'm shooting now. They all build up the carbon for me.
Wayles

Back