BH209 and Damp/Humid Conditions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTGrad

Reaction score
November in Tennessee can be wet and damp. I avoid hunting in the rain and if I do hunt in a drizzle I'm usually in a box blind. I'm vigilant to keep my powder dry by storing in climate controlled gun safe in garage, avoid large temp swings and I keep 2 silica packets in my soft gun tote when I transport my muzzleloader. Regardless here I sit in a box blind after the rain in damp conditions. Humidity is currently 65%.

Have you all found POI or iginition issues with BH209 in moist conditions? I use the BH209 breech plug in my CVA Accura MR with rubber o-ring to prevent any blow back from my Federal 209 primers.

You'll be fine. It rained and snowed all day yesterday and my pistol was loaded[not primed] in the holster hanging in the garage shop for three days. It was one wet sloppy sucker in the woods today and when I needed it the pistol shot perfectly. BH209 is the least moisture affected powder muzzleloaders use. Great stuff.

You'll be fine. It rained and snowed all day yesterday and my pistol was loaded[not primed] in the holster hanging in the garage shop for three days. It was one wet sloppy sucker in the woods today and when I needed it the pistol shot perfectly. BH209 is the least moisture affected powder muzzleloaders use. Great stuff.

Good feedback. That gives me confidence.

UT....I don't think any one day could get any wetter than Monday when I got my buck using bh209. Wind driven rain and thick air before the rain. Nothing over the muzzle. My clothes finally dried this morning.

With my sidelock I would tape over the end of the barrel and slop a little crisco around the nipple and #11. Leave it in a locked vehicle overnight.

I alway top my muzzle with electrical tape. It doesn‘t affect accuracy and i can’t remember having a misfire.

So no POI impact change with electrical tape or a finger cot on top of barrel? I’ve never tried it.

Back