BH209 heating

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you guys been waiting between shots with BH209 like you do with smokeless?

This morning the barrel on my Omega seemed to remain warmer longer than my 10ml. However I kept shooting and accuracy was still good without waiting for it to cool.

I love this no swabbing between shots :lol: The only issue is I can't seem to find any on the shelves anywhere.

Barrel heating is always an issue with any black powder sub as they burn so much powder to get the velocity.
I take 3 guns to the range and still walk up to the target after shooting each one once, keeping them cool enough to duplicate hunting conditions is a real problem in AR as the average tempture is high even in the first Muzzle loading season. Lee

As Lee pointed out, shooting fast in hot temperatures with a muzzleloader will heat a barrel. It can effect accuracy, although with the BH209 that does not seem to be as critical as with other sub powders.

What you might want to do is try the rifle both ways. Shoot it hot, and let it cool. Be sure to post your results with the difference if there is any.

Oh yeah, I really saw it today as I was shooting in 90? heat. It looks like our monsoons are done, so the heat comes back. I was waiting 7-10 minutes between shots and it was still very hot. All of my loads were BH209. All in all I shot about 20 shots zeroing the scope and shooting a few groups.

Back