BH209 to swab or not?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as swabbing: when I go shoot, I enjoy it more when I don’t have to swab much. That and I only shoot open sights and never more than 150 yards. There is zero reason for someone like me to swab between shots.

I pop 3 but 2 mags makes lots of fouling. Then run a dry patch in and out 1 time. Main thing this does is makes sure you got any remaining oil out and added some light fouling.
I’m going to try this method for prepping my CVA next I go to the range and see if there is any difference in the POI between the first few shots at 100 yds. I let the barrel cool between shots at the range to simulate the first shot while hunting.

I used to be a hardcore never swab with BH209. Until I went one season without shooting. At the end of the season when I cleaned it there was etching by the muzzle. I was more than upset. Now I use Jeff’s (BeStill) mixture & swab between shots. Problem eliminate. I also fire three shots without swapping so that I can see if there’s any impact change so that I don’t have to worry about swapping in the field. I have not noticed any difference in POI.

Greg

I am thinking an evening hunt on Christmas.

No way am I sitting out in these temps!!👎👎
It was darn cold yesterday, saw 5 out of my stand then bumped 3 on my way back to the cabin.

Wish I was able to go out this afternoon, good luck!

We are having Christmas this year and my wife is about to lose it, so no hunting until after Christmas. I am off next week so I can spend some time hunting with my son. If it is really cold, we have a heated blind to hunt from. Good luck tomorrow.
I totally understand, hoped to go tomorrow morning but wife bas other plans for us lol

Weather looks to warm up in a few days, looks like i will be able to get out Wednesday afternoon through Saturday.

Good luck!

Even easier, and quicker is start with a wet patch with a water based cleaner typically used to clean black powder or 777. A couple dry patches, then another wet patch, and a dry patch. Then a wet patch using a Blackhorn solvent, followed by a dry patch.

The hard stuff on the breech plug when shooting Blackhorn comes right off when using a black powder or 777 water based cleaning solution.

This method makes cleaning Blackhorn as easy as cleaning 777.
Water and blackhorn, no.

Obviously, you wouldn't believe how easily water based solvents meant to clean black powder, or 777 will remove the nasty black gunk produced when one shoots Blackhorn. Water based black powder solvents easily clean barrels, and breech plugs fouled by blackhorn, yes they do.

Back