Big 6x6 ?? About your NULA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head Hunter

Reaction score
Big 6x6,

I just read your post about your NULA rifle. I went to the website and saw a muzzleloader there. It looked like BP only, but I see you are shooting smokeless. Can you tell me more about your rifle? Did you have to order it special? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

HH,
The rifle is ordered from Melvin Forbes. Look for a 6 month or so delivery time. Mine is a .50cal and is also available as a .45. I went with the popular choice and have no regrets. You get to pick your length of pull and the color/pattern of the stock. That's about it.

As far as blackpowder vs. smokeless...You may shoot either. Mine has had nothing but VV N-110 in it and it has proven to be a wonderful propellant. It has shot ALL bullets loaded in it accurate enough for hunting save the .40cal 235gr Hawk. It is simply the most accurate muzzleloader, day in day out, I have ever owned. If I hadn't SHOT the groups I have with that thing, I woundn't believe them. I generally use 42gr N-110 and a 250gr SST/PTX. That gets me velocities in the 2400s.

If you have any particular questions...I'll be happy to answer!

2006huntingpics%20125.jpg

HH

Head Hunter if you are thinking about going smokeless you can't beat the NULA. I had to wait about 6 weeks for mine. I've sold my Encore and Knights, the New Ultralight Arms is the real deal. I used AA5744, Lee's yellow dipper 3.4 with XTP 250 "the first load I tried" One hole at 100 Yds.
I've never had another Muzzleloader as accurate! My only dislike was the ramrod and I will replace it with an aluminum one after hunting season.

Buel

Re: HH

brworth said:
Head Hunter if you are thinking about going smokeless you can't beat the NULA. I had to wait about 6 weeks for mine. I've sold my Encore and Knights, the New Ultralight Arms is the real deal. I used AA5744, Lee's yellow dipper 3.4 with XTP 250 "the first load I tried" One hole at 100 Yds.
I've never had another Muzzleloader as accurate! My only dislike was the ramrod and I will replace it with an aluminum one after hunting season.

Buel

Hey Buel!
Great to see another ULA ower out there! :D

You ARE right about the ramrod...I replaced mine with a Power Rod.. I told Melvin that's what he should include with the ULA.. He is worried about damaging the crown with an aluminum rod...

Hi Chuck,
Where did you find the your new ramrod? I need to order one if you liked yours. I guess it fit holder OK?
Buel

What about breech plug wear and replacement costs for same? That is one interesting rifle.

brworth said:
Hi Chuck,
Where did you find the your new ramrod? I need to order one if you liked yours. I guess it fit holder OK?
Buel

Knight Power Rod

It isn't a PERFECT fit. The Power Rod comes with a brass jag designed to load spitzer bullets. With it in place, the rod is a TAD long. Remove it(unscrews) and it's okay. I leave the jag on and the rod sticks past the bore SLIGHTLY. I always hunt with my rod out :shock: for quick reloads anyway! :D

What about breech plug wear and replacement costs for same?

So far...there has been no breechplug wear that I can see.

IndianaHunter said:
Hey Chuck, as lite as it is how's the recoil?

Stiff... Here's a comparison:

.300 Weatherby Mark V 3-12X50 Swarovski..200gr Sierra Game King @3008fps...weight 10lbs right on the money..

Free recoil velocity(FRV) 12.8 ft/s
Free recoil energy(FRE) 25.4 ft/lb

.338 Winchester Remington 700KS 1.5-6X42 Kahles 250gr Sierra Game King @ 2730fps...8.1lbs.

FRV 17.1 ft/s
FRE 36.8 ft/lb

Savage 10ML-II 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX-III 250gr SST @ 2330fps 10lbs

FRV 10.7 ft/s
FRE 17.8 ft/lb

ULA .50 Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 250gr PTX @ 2423fps... 7.2lbs

FRV 15.3 ft/s
FRE 26.2 ft/lb

Yeah...the recoil IS pretty stout...Before I did these calculations I told Grouse that I though the recoil was LESS than my .300 Weatherby..I guess it isn't. Of course muzzle blast is no where NEARLY as great nor as noisy..maybe that's why I thought recoil was less.. Actual FELT recoil is nowhere near uncomfortable for me... Also, as you can see, my .338 will put it to shame and my .375 will eat the .338s lunch in the recoil dept. I hope no one ever complains about the 10ML-II recoil with 250gr bullets as it is a whus in that dept!

Back