Big Boar Hog Down

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This boar and other hogs were chasing deer off a game plot.  Killed that hog the other evening.

Attitude: Broadside
Distance: About 75 yards
Rifle: .50 caliber TC Encore
Scope: 4X Zeiss
Bullet: 250 Grain SST in crush rib sabot
Powder: 120 grains of Black MZ
Primer: Winchester 209

Hog ran about 75 yards and collapsed. That is the exit wound. The 250 grain SST performs well on large hogs. When driven at a good velocity the bullet fragments, destroying the lungs and heart, sometimes the liver gets torn up.

Photo was taken several hours after the kill.

xI1eHWdb.jpg

Nice shot! When you're not taking a head shot on a hog (especially a big boar), you really need something that will do serious damage going in and coming out, because they are TOUGH!!
They say they have some big ol' hogs here in Alabama, but so far I haven't seen any! In Texas and OK you have to watch for them in the roads.

Jim

A big hog shot through both lungs can run 200 yards.

Better to shoot low just behind the crook in the front leg. A hog is not built like a deer. Shooting a hog high in the neck is the wrong answer. They often go down like a poleaxed steer, lay there awhile, jump up and take off.

i've shot hogs with .22 LR, .22 magnum, several calibers of centerfire rifles and .50 and .54 caliber patched round balls. Most of my muzzleloader hogs were killed using the 250 grain SST bullet.

The subject of this thread lay on the ground for about five days before the coyotes found him. Last thing on the ground were the two "shields". They were about 1.5" thick with bullet holes through both.

Shot placement is everything; a gut shot is a gut shot regardless of weapon used.

http://matthewshunting.com/anatomy-wild-boar/

My favorite hog shot (from the side) is Directly below the ear, one or two inches. I just line up on the ear hole, lower it a bit, and squeeze. They drop like a stone every time, and they don't get up.

I can't speak to the use of muzzleloaders on that subject, though, although my 45/70 is about the same caliber.

On the rare occasions I can't get that head-shot placement, I prefer to wait until I have a slight angle from the rear and tuck one in from behind the ribs.

Jim

Latest posts

Back