Black bear hunting without bait or dogs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, we cannot hunt black bear with dogs or bait. Our season is in September but it was something I was thinking about while purchasing my license. So the options in our thickly wooded and brushy state are limited. Spot and stalk is a joke. We don't have the open spaces to be able to do that effectively.

But I came across this info http://www.deerquest.com/bear.html

I'd like to querry the board on this matter. Thanks

I've tried them for deer with no results, but then again I haven't had any results when using any tupe of scent for deer.........

Maybe hunt them like deer? Find food sources that they are currently using and wait? Does the DNR have any suggestions?

Blue-Dot-37.5

I have heard of guys getting them to come in with predator calls....?

Sound like you need a scent waffer that smells like garbage. :lol:

There are some bear calls on the market now that guys are enjoying excellent results with.

I know the PA Game Commission would consider that bait--No matter what the manufacturer states!!!!!!!!!!!
Encore28

I have an experience I'd like to share regarding the use of anise oil scent. Doc's deer scent makes a doe attractant spray scent that is anise oil based. I used it one early fall bow season. I was up in a tree and giving a spritz from the pump spray bottle every so often. I was just letting the slight wind carry the scent and let it dissipate down the ridge I was covering. I was using a Summit climbing stand and had to pee. So rather than make alot of noise climbing down I pee'd out of the stand. Well don't ya' know right after I'm done peeing I hear some leaves crunching. Here comes this 1.5 yr. old bear up the ridge and downwind from me. The bear gets right to the base of my tree and is acting all agitated and starts rolling around in the leaves where I pee'd. :shock: Then he wants to start climbing up my tree. :shock: :shock: I had to stomp on the stand to spook him away.
I called up Doc's scent and offered to sell them some of my pee as I thought it might make a good bear attractant. :lol:

The gal on the phone sent me a hat.... :cry:

Back