black canyon powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawson

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used this. I found a store that has a lot of it in stock and just wondered if it was anything like black mag 3. Also has anyone used the cleanshot pellots?

Thanks

I think it is an ancestor of the Black Mag formula. Doc White used to like it. That powder has got to be very old - how much does the store want for a bottle? I wouldn't buy more than one container were I you, at least not until you try some out.

Cleanshot pellets is what got the company in trouble for stepping on Pyrodex pellets toes. It also has to be very old. Ascorbic acid based pellets have not done well in my rifles. The American Pioneer sticks suck!!!
Black Canyon powder has to be about eight years old. I would check to see if it is still powder or if it converted to a lump. If it is still loose it is probably OK to use but you will never get anymore of it so anything you develop is done once the powder you have is used up. It is similar to Black Mag'3 but not exactly the same. BM3 has gone through quite a bit of development since the Black Canyon was available.

there is probably 25 bottles of the black canyon in there. I took a jug and shook it and it was loose. Do you think the performance would be similar to BM3. That is what I am used to but I can not find it anymore.

lawson said:
there is probably 25 bottles of the black canyon in there. I took a jug and shook it and it was loose. Do you think the performance would be similar to BM3. That is what I am used to but I can not find it anymore.

From what I have heard of BM3, my guess would be no because if it was, there wouldn't be 25 bottles to be found. When I saw your post, I googled it. What I read and the post here, I wouldn't waste my money on it. JMO

Many years ago we were sent some at work to test it. It was not conisitent at all. We had differences of nearly 200fps with the same volume charge. The grain size was VERY large, which when measured by volume I believe we were getting a large range of weights depending on how the grains set against each other.

i have used black canyon powder ... stay away from it. after you open it, the granules will all be one solid hard-as-a-brick clump within a couple of months. also, it generates poor velocity. the instructions with it say that you have to compress the powder (i.e. pound on it) with your ramrod before you seat the bullet. even then you will get inconsistent velocities.

you would do much better just buying some pyrodex or 777 ...

and when i say poor velocity, i mean several hundred fps less than an equivalent volume of blackpowder ...

Latest posts

Back