No excuses vs bullshop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfujan

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed no excuses varying a lot in weight and diameter? These are 420gn .503's. To the left is the found weight on a powder scale. Also had measured diameter varying up to .004 on peaks and valleys of bullets. Wondering if bullshop (400LGP for example) has generally tighter tolerances than this?

Looking at shrinking group sizes at the range and wondering if bullshop's are generally considered higher quality? 20230809_070608.jpgBull-Shop-Bullets.jpg

Every batch of Bullshop bullets I’ve ordered in both .504 and .452 I’ve weighed and every bullet varies in weight by little to none. I think the most I ever weighed was 00.2 grains difference. They’ve always been extremely consistent for me.

I have used Dan's Bull Shop bullet for years now. I did try the NE but the Bull Shops just seemed more consistent,

I started out using the 460's but long ago switched to the .503 x 400 LGP's. This was recovered from an elk at 160 yards. Shot with a100 grains of T7. The shape of the reflects the MMP 50 cal Sub Base, I use under the bullet to seal all the gas behind the bullet.

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

MMP-Sub-Bridge-Composit.jpg

Dan's web site is a little difficult to navigate. Send him an email, his wife Tina will get right back to you.

Yes, I’ve noticed that NE vary quite a bit in weight - up to 7 gr or so. I weight sort out mine into lots.
With me as well. 😩. That’s why I started casting my own. That said, if your shots are under or around 100 yds you should be ok as far as accuracy. When I cast mine I like to see them within a 1/2 a grain.

Back