Black Powder revolvers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStebs

Reaction score
I'm new to black powder shooting and this group. I've shot a Hawken replica, and a .36 Navy replica in the past. There's nothing like the sound of a hawken! I'm looking to buy a black powder revolver first. Possibly a 1858 Army .44 replica or 1858 Bison replica. Does anyone have any input? I noticed some shops don't ship black powder guns from out of state to Colorado.

What do you want to know? I've shot thousands of rounds in percussion revolvers when I shot CAS, but mostly Colts. Grips on the Remington are too small for me.

Cabelas will ship to Colorado, and they have good prices when they have sales. Which is often.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum .
The revolvers are great fun to shoot be it Colt ,Remington or the Ruger Old Army.
You can look into some of the single shot pistols as well.

If you keep your loads mild the brass frames will hold up just fine , i've got a brass framed Colt .44 and have shot more than 3000 rnds with it with no ill effects !

I love my 1860 army .44, kinda like ol Josey Wales's gun. I also have a target revolver that I love, and then there.............................ok, I have four, love em all. The short barrels are harder to ram the ball down than the longer barrels by the way. You can also buy a cylinder loader with a longer handle that works great. Then, theres those extra cylinders that make it fun. ha ha I bought one, and it grew to four in a hurry. It's just far to much fun to shoot them. The're all fun. I got all mine from Cabelas, on sale, none over $179.00 a few years ago.

I have Colts in 1860, 1861 and 1862 flavors, along with a 2nd Model Dragoon, and also 1858 Remingtons in .36 and .44 - all the short barrel models.  Also a stainless ROA with 8" barrel.

ALL are very accurate, whether Colt or Remington, or whether .36 cal or .44 cal.

I grew up with the .36 cal Colt 1861 Dad brought home from a gunshow when I was in High School, so I learned to shoot it & maintain it.  It still shoots like new, over 46 years later.

Today, .44 cal is my favorite and the Colts & Remingtons are about equally accurate.  At 50' on a pistol target, I can place an all touching, raggedy hole on paper.  It annoys the other old guys shooting their vintage Smith & Wesson target revolvers, since, none can do any better ...

Just for the sights alone, I'd recommend the 1858 Remington to anyone unfamiliar with Colt's Hammer/Notch sight.  You'll be likely buying more than one revolver anyway, so keep a Colt in the back of your mind for the next sale in the future.  Whether the 8" or 6" barrel (6" looks sexier), accuracy is only limited by your shooting ability.  I use a 23 gr load of either Pyrodex P or 3F BP with a folded 2 ply square of toiletpaper wiped with a light application of beeswax & tallow bullet/patch lube folded inside as a wad between ball & powder.  If you're the spendy sort, the prelubed felt wads work equally well, although they have more lube in them than you really need.

Cabelas will be having sales on & off until after Christmas, so look for good prices and also codes for free shipping.

Latest posts

Back