Help setting value of a pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinktip

Reaction score
I’m pondering selling a pistol and am struggling to find what a fair asking price would be.

I have a lightly used Pietta 1858 New Army .44 caliber black powder revolver. This was given to me by a family member several years ago. He bought it new and, if he ever shot it, it was only once or twice. It is the stainless model and is in excellent condition. It would with the replica holster shown and a brass powder measure but no paperwork or box.

I know they are retailing new for $600 but what would a fair second hand price be?

Attachments

• IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sinktip-

Do you know how to read the Italian date codes?

There should be a square with two letters inside, stamped on the frame. That’s the date cofe forthe year it was made. The square should be near some proof marks, and a “PN” marking. (PN is Poudre Negro, or similar- “Black Powder,” in Italian.)

Google “Italian date codes,” and you should be able to look up you revolver’s letters, to tell you the year your revolver was made.

Thanks! It is stamped |BH| so apparently 1996. Interesting as under the barrel, once the ram arm is out of the way, it is stamped 1994. Perhaps when the barrel was made.

After taking it apart and going over it with a magnifying glass, I don’t think it has ever been fired.

So does that date stamp help or hurt the value?

Thanks! It is stamped |BH| so apparently 1996. Interesting as under the barrel, once the ram arm is out of the way, it is stamped 1994. Perhaps when the barrel was made.

So does that date stamp help or hurt the value?

I don’t know… I’ve never noticed one with two different date codes.

Most potential buyers would probably never notice that. Good eye!

Just throwing this one back up to see if, given the BH (1996) date stamp, a fair and reasonable asking price would be $350?

Just throwing this one back up to see if, given the BH (1996) date stamp, a fair and reasonable asking price would be $350?
That sounds like a good deal to me if it is stainless steel.
There is a stainless steel model which brand new 2023 models are going for $500-600, so for 1996 that sounds fair.
BUT I have also seen some nickel plated versions that look similar and are only $399 new, I'm not sure how to tell the difference with an exact method, but I assume in person they would be different. Just a heads up if you aren't 100% sure which it is.

If only it was the 5.5" barrel model, I'd love to buy it

That sounds like a good deal to me if it is stainless steel.
There is a stainless steel model which brand new 2023 models are going for $500-600, so for 1996 that sounds fair.
BUT I have also seen some nickel plated versions that look similar and are only $399 new, I'm not sure how to tell the difference with an exact method, but I assume in person they would be different. Just a heads up if you aren't 100% sure which it is.

If only it was the 5.5" barrel model, I'd love to buy it
Yeah I looked hard at the stainless vs nickel. Definitely not the latter.

Thanks for the input on the value.

Nope. Haven't even listed it as I'm new to the site. I'm planning to soon though.

Latest posts

Back