Black Powder Shotgun?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhillshunter

Reaction score
All I really know, is I would like to take up turkey hunting with one, but have no idea as where to start. Anyone have some good resources I could read or watch? Info they would like to share? I love turkey hunting, but it has become to easy with a regular gun. I am looking to use for next year, so have some time, I just don't want to spend a bunch of money upfront to just realize down the road, that I spent poorly. I know I would like a double barrel and that's about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I had a single barrel shotgun at one time. I did turkey hunt with it a few times. The last time, I had a big Tom at about 15 yards and the gun misfired. My own fault because the day prior, it was a bit rainy and I didn't put in a fresh load. A double barrel gun would be perfect. They aren't cheap. Pedersoli has a few models.
If a double barrel is not in your budget, a crossbow is a decent second choice if you like a challenge.

I have done the bow thing for a lot of years and actually hunting with a recurve bow this year. Kind of getting back to my roots sort of thing. This weekend will be my first outing of the year. Regarding the shotgun, just looking for something different at this point for next year. I have looked at the Pedersoli's and ya, that is more than what I would have figured. Didn't know if there are other options or if I'm stuck just buying a Pedersoli.

I have done the bow thing for a lot of years and actually hunting with a recurve bow this year. Kind of getting back to my roots sort of thing. This weekend will be my first outing of the year. Regarding the shotgun, just looking for something different at this point for next year. I have looked at the Pedersoli's and ya, that is more than what I would have figured. Didn't know if there are other options or if I'm stuck just buying a Pedersoli.
If your not set on a double and like a challenge (and had a Renegade/hawken get Bob Hoyt to make your barrel into a .62 /20 ga smoothy .Finding a donor barrel on fleabay is easy and in the off season fling big balls /Ed

Sandhills, IMO it's hard to beat the pattern density and not to forget the easy loading of the Knight TK2000.
I've posted a good bit of info on this forum and some media pics.
It's all I use in turkey season.

I was the same killed a pile of them with a Remington 870 that shoot a good pattern. Went to the bow for more challenging gobbler hunting with all calls I made. Did that we'll until I got into BP. I had a Pedersoli dobbel 10 ga with chokes but sold it but never could get the pattern that the old 870 got. So I went to the tk2000 ,it did well and quick and easy to load. Laced a few longbeards with it. Now that I build my own BP guns and only use ones I build, sold the tk2000 to my freind. No I have a side hammer 20 ga Colerain turkey barrel on my interchangeable barrel gun and that will pattern and shoot with any modern 10 ga on down. Even as good as my old 870.. now with the Colerain barrel you can not shoot any of the hard shot out of it , so my load is 2 and 1/8 Oz of copper plated 7 shot. When the smoke clears Mr Tom is down and not even a quiver. Very satisfying for me with the calls I made and the gun I made.

Thanks for the info everyone, as it gives me a few things to think over. I do all sorts of shooting, both for fun and competitive. Really like action pistol and NL22. But black powder for the most part, is a new concept for me and my knowledge on the subject is little. It's nice to be able to ask a question and get nice responses back. Thank you all!

I do have a Hawken, so rebarreling might be the way to go starting out. Did not even know that was an option.

I do apricate the offer, but I'm going to look into rebarreling what I have.

The Hawken I have has special meaning to me and not sure what would be involved in having my .50 reamed out to a 20 gauge, but if possible, I am going that route. My mom would have got a big kick out of seeing me get a turkey with that gun. She taught me to hunt and fish, as well as bought this gun for me years ago when I was 12.

I did a search and see Bob's name come up a lot, but does anyone have contact info?

Thank you,

Here's another way to approach this, a 69cal smoothbore is essentially a 14ga shotgun. This way you have either a smoothbore musket or 14ga depending on how you load it. For some reason, a dedicated muzzleloading shotgun is more expensive than a smoothbore.

I do apricate the offer, but I'm going to look into rebarreling what I have.

The Hawken I have has special meaning to me and not sure what would be involved in having my .50 reamed out to a 20 gauge, but if possible, I am going that route. My mom would have got a big kick out of seeing me get a turkey with that gun. She taught me to hunt and fish, as well as bought this gun for me years ago when I was 12.

I did a search and see Bob's name come up a lot, but does anyone have contact info?

Thank you,
Bob Hoyt 2379 Mount Hope road Fairfield PA 17320 /Phone # 717 -642-6696 /call early ! Ed

Latest posts

Back