blackhorn 209 corrosion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjvb

Reaction score
Anyone shooting bh209 needs to be aware that it can not be treated like smokeless powdwer in regards to corrosion. I have shot almost four cans throught two knight disc guns. One is stainless the second is blued, after three weeks without cleaning the bores they both show red rust. What is most suprising is the stainless gun shows almost the same amount of rust as the blue gun. My advise is not to let it go more than a week or so before full clean. The rust did come out with bore cleaner and did not pit the barrels. Just a heads up if you think you can shoot bh 209 and forego the cleaning for and extended period. I do not want to give bh 209 a bad name and will continue to shoot it, as it is an exceptional performer. This lack of cleaning was an experiment on my part and I don't want any one to have a corroded bore if they can prevent it. Every other claim from bh 209 is as advertised.

My understanding was with BlackHorn 209 it never said it did not have to be cleaned out of the barrel, it just said that it would not have to be immediately cleaned out like some of the other powders.

Any time you ignite something which then creates a fire on metal you have changed the chemical base of that burn site. Something is going to happen, meaning rust. It's just a matter of time. I personally would never let a rifle go more then a day or two before being cleaned after being fired.

A year or so ago, I did a metal fowling test to see which powder would rust the quickest and to what degree. I tested Triple Se7en, Pyrodex APP, Goex, and a test clean area. The powder was tested also, according to the different grades. What I discovered was all of them will produce rust. Some much faster then others. The worst was Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex P. But even they took a couple days before they started to show signs of rusting. Of course the metal was not outside, being exposed to elements of moisture, etc.. The metal was left in a nice dry place inside the house.

I have been monitoring the same thing in my guns for a few months.. It is my opinion that it is not rust. Now, I don't know WHAT it is but it wipes off easily and does not seem to pit or get into the metal finish.

I have noted rust color and sometimes a white moldy substance.

Anyone else see this?

Well, first off, non-corrosive does not mean it prevents rust, it only means it does not cause it. Any metal that has iron in it will rust if left exposed with no protection, there are a lot of people who ruin cartridge guns shooting smokeless because they don't put something on them to protect them. Second, BH does leave a brown stain if left set, several of us have run into that, there is an other Black sub that does that also. Lee

I've seen the rust color. In the summer when it was really humid, I would get it as soon as the next day. However, it was easily prevented by a patch of Hoppes and some Breakfree CLP on a patch. Never had any issues on breachplug threads. Still WAY, WAY better than T7 though. I'm glad someone posted their findings. I just thought I was doing something wrong and didn't want to admit it. :oops:

Bottom line here is you gotta clean your guns after shooting them. The longest I have ever waited to clean was 12 hours and that was cause I was butchering in hot weather and had to get the meat in the freezer.

toytruck said:
Bottom line here is you gotta clean your guns after shooting them.

I agree 100% but BH209 gives you a larger window to do so. Even in your CF guns, powder, copper etc packed between the lands and grooves of your barrel will trap moisture and be a haven for rust.

However it is my opinion that with BH209 you can go a week or 2 without worry. A couple of Hoppes patches will prolong that if needed.

Just as a side note guys, I shot my Triumph the other day after being loaded for two months and hunted with three or four time and it was dead on! I really think you can leave your gun loaded all season with out worry,,, unless you encounter some wet weather.

Back