Viewing The Bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones816

Reaction score
So my Dad passed away 3 years ago and I have his TC .50 Hawken. I hadn't had time to really look at it until now. The rifle is beautiful...on the outside. The bore is not. I can only see the first inch or 2 down the muzzle but it doesn't look too clean. How can I view the rest of the bore? I went to the local gun shop and they did not have a light that would go into the nipple hole. A customer had a camera that we put down the bore and could see on the viewer that it indeed had some rust in the grooves of the rifling. Rust or corrosion or whatever. I have been scrubbing with CLP and brushes and 0000 steel wool for a few hours. Patches are coming out pretty clean now but... how can I see in there to know how it looks?

Glue a small mirror to a 1" section of dowel that will slide down the barrel. Then shine a flash light down the bore. The mirror will reflect and you will see the condition of the bore.

When I had one ML, a 45, I bought a small polished piece of aluminum from Track or Dixie. Drop it down the bore and shine a small flashlight in to reflect off it. Works pretty good.
I've used the light from a lighted arrow nock, too... but now that I know about patent breeches... that makes me think it might drop in and get stuck somehow.

I'd really like to get a bore scope, but you read so many good and bad things about the cheaper ones.

Lighted arrow knock has worked for me as well. I may pick up a bore scope one of these days.
Over the years I have helped friends clean up and shoot old neglected sidelocks and in-lines. Most times I have been pleasantly surprised how well they shoot. Even with pitting that is too deep to remove. Some bores look like hell but end up shooting like heaven. You won't know 'til you clean them up and shoot 'em.

Over the years I have helped friends clean up and shoot old neglected sidelocks and in-lines. Most times I have been pleasantly surprised how well they shoot. Even with pitting that is too deep to remove. Some bores look like hell but end up shooting like heaven. You won't know 'til you clean them up and shoot 'em.
This is absolutely true! Some that look like hell still end up shooting very well (although they may be really tough to clean)! Like this one that I picked up cheap.

62DDDB74-B957-457B-B905-9403643C7DF1.jpeg
3610A252-4FDB-4932-AF27-3C3D50DE11FE.jpeg

Back