BlackHorn 209 in a T/C Black Diamond XR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
BlackDiamond011a.jpg

Well I wanted to do more testing with another inline. I decided to try and see if the Black Diamond XR would shoot BlackHorn 209. My concern was the design of the breech plug. That being the breech plug and the 209 primer nipple are separate pieces. The Black Diamond XR has a 1.5-4.5x32mm Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope. I had the scope set on 4.5 for all shooting.

I had moved the target up to the 50 yard station as earlier I was shooting a flintlock with some roundball. I shot off about twenty ball, and was going to stop for the day, then decided to shoot the Black Diamond XR. Since accuracy was not the issue, but the ability of the rifle to handle the powder, the actual distance I decided was not that important. Plus the bugs were pretty good back in the woods. It was 80 degrees out, and calm.

My Black Diamond XR has a favorite loads. It loves Shockwaves in 250 grain and it also likes the Speer GDHP 250 grain in a MMP HPH-12 sabot. The Speer are a tight fitting load. Normally I shoot 90 grains of Triple Se7en 2f with these loads. But I have shot them with as much as 120 grains of powder. So I decided to shoot 100 grains of the BlackHorn 209 powder.

The first 6 shot group I shot was the center black duct tape. I was shooting 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 and the 250 grain Speer Gold Dots. While I knew the rifle could do better, this was not a test of accuracy. Normally this load is just a big hole from this rifle.

The Black Diamond XR handled this BlackHorn 209 powder with no problem. Ignition was instantaneous. I was using Winchester W209 primers.

I then put a small sticker from a Birchwood Casey shoot and See (we are talking 3/4 of an inch, maybe smaller. I drew a circle to indicate the size I was shooting at.) above the main group I had made. This time I loaded 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 and 250 grain Shockwaves. I never checked the target except the one time I knew I had a different feeling on the shot. That was caused by the last shot because I finished off the box of Shockwaves and was a sabot short. So I loaded that last Shockwave in a Nosler sabot. It loaded a lot harder then the Shockwave sabots. Why the group ran a string I would guess is the powder charge was just not right. I am sure with some tinkering, I could make this BD shoot a very tight group with BlackHorn 209.

Now I sat there thinking.. I know the rifle shoots better. Maybe I was having a bad day. So I swabbed the bore clean and went to the house and got a jug of Triple Se7en 2f powder. I decided to shoot for the center target.

This time I loaded 90 grains of Triple Se7en 2f, a Nosler sabot, and the 250 grain GDHP. I did swab between each shot, taking my time to let the barrel cool a little. And I had a fantastic group going. I think that main hole is six shots. Then that one muzzleloader God, Damitifliched showed up and blew the whole thing for me with the last shot.

Cleaning the rifle was not all that bad. I swabbed the bore with some Butch's Bore Shine, then had to scrub out the Breech Plug of some nasty black fowling with Q-tips and patches dipped in Butch's Bore Shine. After knowing the barrel was clean, I water bath scrubbed the breech threads in the rifle. That cleaned them up real fast.

This BlackHorn 209 powder is an amazing powder. No swabbing, no stink, nice smoke, and good power. I think with a little work, I could tune this up to the Black Diamond XR easy. Although this Black Diamond XR with Triple Se7en 2f is a very good shooting rifle. As I have said before, it is kind of a boring rifle as it always shoots good. If I had a better scope with more magnification I think this would be a easy long range rifle. Perhaps I will consider this as some good scopes are on sale right now.

That's good news that you didn't have any hangfires. Looks as if all your groups kinda string vertically. I'd go up 10gr on the powder charge and see what happens.

That rifle really likes the 90gr ffg Triple Se7en! Good shooting!

I was thinking the same thing... normally when they sting vertically I go up 5-10 grains. When they string horizontal, I drop about the same amount. "Usually" that seems to do the trick. Although that rifle is hard to beat when I shoot Triple Se7en powder.

Dave another excellent report I have never owned a BD but have herd nothing but great things about the way they shoot . They have a Brand new in box .45cal BD on Gun Brokers that I would love to have . If it were me I would stik to the 777 for this gun Awsome groups ! But dood to know that it will shoot the BH209 for those that have them BD :yeah:

The size of the groups really was not my main objective. I knew what the rifle would do with the Triple Se7en powder and the Speer GDHP. What I was more concerned with is the way the BlackHorn 209 acted in relationship to the rifle. I must say, I was pleased. I am sure with some minor tinkering, I could have the BlackHorn 209 shooting as good of groups as the Triple Se7en.

I have a couple more things I want to try with this powder. So far, this powder really impresses the devil out of me. When you can sit and shoot, load, shoot, load, and never have to swab. Well the only rifle I know does that without BH209 is my White, shooting conicals.

The Black Diamond is old technology. When I bought it, it was considered the best out there offered by Thompson Center. As I have said to others, this rifle is the reason I never invested in a Omega, Pro Hunter, etc.. as I really do not think I could out shoot the Black Diamond with a different rifle, and the old technology, while harder to clean.. does not bother me.

I don't know much about the .45 caliber. I think for a short time some of the .45 caliber rifles had some problems. I believe I read it was due to the rate of twist in the rifling.

There is still no BH-209 in my area yet. Maybe next month..I hope.

I do like seeing the groups.

Chocdog

choc-dog

call a Bass Pro, they are in every one i have been in so far in 3 states! Also Hamburg Cabelas if you are close enough to the border.

Thats some great info cayuga on that horn powder, and not shooting for groups that wasint all that bad Ive seen guys at the range with there knights and prohunters be jumping for joy with what you shot right there, but Iam sure you have seen the same, my prohunter loved the shockwaves with a 100 gr 5 shots touching with a actec 44 mil scope which went up too 10 power all touching one another, I sold it wasint much fun, I shoot all side locks now even in our modern rifle season, they kill them just as dead and a lot cheaper shooting if you like going too the range often, Iam going out tomorrow too play with the black mountain somemore, going too play with some 300GR xtp hornady. jbuck9

So Cayuga, what was the condition of the 209 nipple after your BH209 session. Did you notice anything that could cause concern after you have cleaned the gun and the nipple?

I now have 2 Black Diamonds and am still waiting for my local gun shop to stock BlackHorn 209. He was to have it in July but he can not got it from his supplier yet. So I am thinking about making the plunge and putting an order to Midway USA for a case of Black Horn 209.

I am now looking at third Black Diamond to buy. My present ones handle 777 with 250 XTP & 250 gold dot & crush ribs. The both have peep sights and my groups are always 1.5'' or under at 100 yards. But I hate dealing with the 777 crud ring.

Great Report Cayuga. Keep them coming. I am thinking that I should order a 1/2 dozen 209 nipples also, because I know that they will start to wear out.

The nipple needed some scrubbing with solvent to come clean. The breech plug itself had a carbon or something in the plug itself, but some Q-tips and solvent cleaned it up right away.

My main concern with the nipple was it would blow the retainer spring off. But there was not any problem. I was shooting Winchester W209 primers.

cayuga
The BD is very similar to my System One and it works fine too, it is a bit more cleaning at the end of the day but not having too wipe between shots allows me to enjoy shooting more. Lee

Latest posts

Back