Blackhorn 209 in T/C Encore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowler1

Reaction score
Hi,
I have another question about my new Encore...well I bought it used but new to me. I am planning to use Buckhorn 209 powder with it instead of 777 pellets I was using in my Traditions Vortek. My gun has the stock "quick disconnect" breech plug. I don't know if TC made a special breech plug for use with BH 209. I understand that some manufacturers do.

Should my gun with its standard breech plug perform reliably with BH 209? I have read many good things about this powder, but have read about people having issues with ignition and know that some brands make a specific breech plug for use with this powder that I presume has a different size flash hole.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Matt

As far as I know, only CVA has a BH209 specific breechplug. I bought a used Encore and shoot BH209 in it with good results but the breechplug requires a wrench to remove so it’s different than yours.

Hi,
I have another question about my new Encore...well I bought it used but new to me. I am planning to use Buckhorn 209 powder with it instead of 777 pellets I was using in my Traditions Vortek. My gun has the stock "quick disconnect" breech plug. I don't know if TC made a special breech plug for use with BH 209. I understand that some manufacturers do.

Should my gun with its standard breech plug perform reliably with BH 209? I have read many good things about this powder, but have read about people having issues with ignition and know that some brands make a specific breech plug for use with this powder that I presume has a different size flash hole.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Matt
Post some pics, bottom, top, and side.

Cva makes a blackhorn plug for TC but I don't remember what model it is for.

Thanks. I am not necessarily looking to get a special breech plug if the stock one will work well. I just have read mixed reviews about ignition of BH209 and know that some companies make specific breech plugs for it....implying that you need a different breech plug to shoot this powder effectively

I have also read that part of this is due to blowback and a bad seal. But the TC plug in mine appears to be built like a fort knox safe vault so I am going to assume it will have minimal blowback.

CVA factory plugs that are not BH209 specific have very shallow faces. I think most inline T/C plugs do fine with BH because they are designed with a deeper relief in the face. Plugs with a powder chamber get the most out of BH but the T/C plug should be fine.

I’ve had several Encore ML barrels, but it was before BH and before I knew what a QLA is. I’m now in possession of a VariFlame breech plug and a bunch of BH powder, and I’m considering trying another one.

Back