Blackhorn is back

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depending on your load you get about 55 to 80 shots with a can of Blackhorn 209. Less if you load more hot too. Thus if you only use the stuff for hunting then a can could last for quite a few years. But if you are going to the range you could easily use a can or two in one range session.

More in the ammo than the gun itself
Muzzleloaders do not use " ammo ". But its pretty wild to imagine one shooting up the net value of your expensive gun in powder alone was beyond me, muchless to think that for guys that shoot a lot, doing that in only a cpl yrs is just crazy. When not too long ago & with most guys, they would never even get close to shooting up the equivalent value of their gun in powder alone.

depending on your load you get about 55 to 80 shots with a can of Blackhorn 209. Less if you load more hot too. Thus if you only use the stuff for hunting then a can could last for quite a few years. But if you are going to the range you could easily use a can or two in one range session.
For the guys shooting 105g W charges, or bigger, believe me, a 10oz can was gone really fast.

Muzzleloaders do not use " ammo ". But its pretty wild to imagine one shooting up the net value of your expensive gun in powder alone was beyond me, muchless to think that for guys that shoot a lot, doing that in only a cpl yrs is just crazy. When not too long ago & with most guys, they would never even get close to shooting up the equivalent value of their gun in powder alone.

Well if you make up paper cartridges with your load prepared ahead of time. Those can be considered ammunition cartridges. Same thing if you use a set of plastic tubes with your load prepared too.

But yes I can agree in that one could spend a lot on that stuff. But for many hunters the hunting trip, licenses and permits can cost a lot more. But the well to do hunter won’t bat an eye at how much 209 costs. If you use a somewhat exotic hunting rifle caliber you could wind up spending more than what a can of 209 costs per cartridge.

At those prices, I will not be shooting blackhorn at the range! I don't want to pay those prices but I will if I needed it for hunting! I've got 2 unopened 10oz jugs that I will use for nothing but hunting! I've also got 2 jugs that have around 12-14oz left between them that I will be using at the range in the near future to try out a few different loads! Hopefully the price comes back down before I buy anymore! I'm going to try to get some shooters world to try and see how it is!

I will say my dime's worth here. Velocity diff between BH209 & T7-2f/3f is maybe 100 fps less. So why would a person pay $70-$90 for 1/2 lb vs $32 a full lb.
The biggest reason that I can think of is that blackhorn doesn't smoke as much as pyrodex rs! I haven't tried 777 so I can't say anything about it! I love being able to see what the deer does after the shot!

I will say my dime's worth here. Velocity diff between BH209 & T7-2f/3f is maybe 100 fps less. So why would a person pay $70-$90 for 1/2 lb vs $32 a full lb.
can you get 2100 to 2200 ft a second with the others and I don't want to leave a 3500 dollar set in the corner so to each his own

I knew there would be those who just need it maybe. Not all rifles leave a crud ring using T7, i have 2 that don't . I have couple rifles that will get 2100 + using Swiss 3 F. I am curious to what you have $3500 in that would be left crying in the dark ? Being honest here 100-200 fps will do what 2000 won't .Now i am having a great day !

Consistency matters, and BH is more consistent than any other substitute or black. Depending on what you may want to achieve, consistency makes a huge difference in EXTREME accuracy, especially at long range.
When the warehouse becomes full, the price should drop. However, don't expect prices to drop to 2020 levels. I said it over and over again after the first "shortage" during the obemmer years, don't get caught short again. "Fool me once.......... " I'm setting on 25# of it, and called a hoarder ;)

Each person has to decide what they're willing to spend and on what for whatever reasons.

I hunt BH and shoot T7 3f at the range. I do not shoot any black or any of the other subs other than the T7 for the range.

I have plenty of BH on hand and at the rate I shoot it will have plenty for years to come. There's an advocate for every powder on this planet and it doesn't do any good to get all lathered up over the price of any of it. Don't like It? Don't shoot it. Can't afford it, find something affordable. BH just happens to be at the top of the sub selections and for several reasons, but it comes with a cost. T7 granular is right under BH in that pile.

Back