Blackhorn is back

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depending on your load you get about 55 to 80 shots with a can of Blackhorn 209. Less if you load more hot too. Thus if you only use the stuff for hunting then a can could last for quite a few years. But if you are going to the range you could easily use a can or two in one range session.
You'd have to be shooting light loads to get 55 to 80 shots from an 8oz. bottle of BH209.

1# = 7,000grs. / 16 = 437.5grs per ounce. 437.5 x 8oz = 3,500grs per 8oz bottle.

Lot #39 with a 120gr VOLUME charge, actually weighs an average of 96grs.

3500/96w = 36 shots per container.

3500/84w = 41 shots per container.

3500/75w = 46 shots per container.

3500/65w = 53 shots per container.

3500/63w = 55 shots per container.

I just hope that when the shelves fill up down there, some finds it's way north. We have jokers up here trying to charge $500 for a can. In the mean time I am just glad that some of us can get our hands on it for now.

Muzzleloaders do not use " ammo ". But its pretty wild to imagine one shooting up the net value of your expensive gun in powder alone was beyond me, muchless to think that for guys that shoot a lot, doing that in only a cpl yrs is just crazy. When not too long ago & with most guys, they would never even get close to shooting up the equivalent value of their gun in powder alone.
When I used to test & do load development for companies wanting to get into ML bullet manufacturing they sent product for free (LOTS) I supplied my own BH209 ($130.00/5lb container) primers & sabots if needed & I would burn up around fifteen 10oz cans at the range spring through fall. My local Bass Pro is $90/8oz
Can’t imagine spending that now!!

Greg

Yes, Blackhorn has gone up in price, but then what hasn't. There isn't a thing worthwhile is our lives that hasn't risen in price since pre-covid pricing. And like 45-70 mentioned, he didn't buy a $3500.00 gun to sit in a corner. I've been burning BH for quite a few years now and have seen first hand the merits that the powder offers and can say quite clearly that even at today's pricing BH outshines every other black and sub.

I am not a long range shooter so I guess T7 would be my powder choice if I was. After getting any of my inlines sighted with BH any subsequent range time, and its usually quite often, is done with T7 fffg. That makes it affordable. Generally, I take one or two rifles and the pistol to the range and shoot each one on average of 15 shots. In my Accura V2 and the .45 Kodiak, BH charge weights and T7 fffg charge weights are identical and the guns shoot T7 3f to the same identical point of impact as when used with BH. I loose nothing to T7 except its a bit cheaper. The Optima pistol is the oddball and sees nothing but BH because, with the short barre,l T7 does as much burning outside the barrel as inside, which is NOT cost effective. I don't shoot as much for accuracy, as I already know what each gun can do in that department, but I do shoot just to maintain form and trigger pull time. This helps keep me consistent and confident, and these two words are gold when it comes to shooting. One thing that does not follow me to the range, or the woods for that matter, is how much the powder, or bullets, or sabots or primers, are costing me.

I hunt Blackhorn for a number of reasons: its dependable in all weather, no plume of smoke to hinder following a deer that doesn't drop on the spot and I can shoot the first day of the season and not need to clean until the season is over. All of this equates to confidence. I have had exactly one hang fire using BH and that was not the fault of the powder or primer. My fault. I neglected to clean the plug after a pre season session at the range to verify the shots when I switched back to BH from T7 thinking that 10 shots wouldn't foul the plug out, but.... I have never had one single instance while hunting of having a second load be hard to load when using BH. In all the years I've shot it I have never had a rust issue at the end of the season. I cannot say that with ANY of the other powders. So, saying that, I can also say that for me my trust, my confidence, falls squarely on BH and that allows me to be consistent. That's the gold, folks.

For years have adhered to a motto an old timer told me. He said, " I have no one to impress but myself". I live by that. I don't care what other people want to shoot or what components they use. Like 45-70 said, I too am not collecting guns to not shoot. And I am not one to "settle" on a lesser powder product than that which I have a great deal of confidence in, especially in the deer woods: regardless of cost. Its the deer woods, in my life, that is the essence of why I shoot in the first place. As I read some of these blackhorn threads and all the pissing and moaning about the price of the stuff, I wonder just how many posters actually take a serious look at how much they pay for everything else they enjoy today, as compared to pre-covid costs Everything has gone sky high. As I have said before, the top of the powder pile is owned by BH and T7 granular. They've both gone up in price. If neither of these fit your budget, keep search for something that does and that provides you with the confidence you need to shoot effectively. All powders, including BH, have drawbacks. BH needs a hot primer and those can be hard to find at time. T7 has a crud ring when used with primers or hot caps plus its more corrosive than BH. Some have tried the Shooters World sub and like it, but I have no experience with it so I have no idea what, if any drawbacks there may be with it, but it is reported to be quite affordable. Maybe that's an answer for some of you. If you want to enjoy this sport, find a powder that lets you shoot often and that affords you consistency to achieve decent accuracy. This will bring you confidence. And it doesn't get any better than shooting confidently. Don't worry about what Joe Blow says this sucks or how Mr. X says that this is the best of the best: you, your gun and your components are, or should be, sole focus of your shooting. It takes time, it takes some investment, but in the end if you've been persistent and focused, you'll land smack on top of confident, trust me. And there's no other place like it.

Stop paying those crazy prices just make you own only cost about $6.00 a pound to make cleaner than pyrodex less corrosive easy to make and shoots better than pyrodex.

I thought we were talking about Blackhorn 209 - which is a different universe from Pyrodex or black….
I thought we were talking about Blackhorn 209 - which is a different universe from Pyrodex or black….
Yes they were talking about blackhorn 209 and I know it's different I've been doing this for years just letting people know there is a alternative if they can't find it

Yes, Blackhorn has gone up in price, but then what hasn't. There isn't a thing worthwhile is our lives that hasn't risen in price since pre-covid pricing. And like 45-70 mentioned, he didn't buy a $3500.00 gun to sit in a corner. I've been burning BH for quite a few years now and have seen first hand the merits that the powder offers and can say quite clearly that even at today's pricing BH outshines every other black and sub.

I am not a long range shooter so I guess T7 would be my powder choice if I was. After getting any of my inlines sighted with BH any subsequent range time, and its usually quite often, is done with T7 fffg. That makes it affordable. Generally, I take one or two rifles and the pistol to the range and shoot each one on average of 15 shots. In my Accura V2 and the .45 Kodiak, BH charge weights and T7 fffg charge weights are identical and the guns shoot T7 3f to the same identical point of impact as when used with BH. I loose nothing to T7 except its a bit cheaper. The Optima pistol is the oddball and sees nothing but BH because, with the short barre,l T7 does as much burning outside the barrel as inside, which is NOT cost effective. I don't shoot as much for accuracy, as I already know what each gun can do in that department, but I do shoot just to maintain form and trigger pull time. This helps keep me consistent and confident, and these two words are gold when it comes to shooting. One thing that does not follow me to the range, or the woods for that matter, is how much the powder, or bullets, or sabots or primers, are costing me.

I hunt Blackhorn for a number of reasons: its dependable in all weather, no plume of smoke to hinder following a deer that doesn't drop on the spot and I can shoot the first day of the season and not need to clean until the season is over. All of this equates to confidence. I have had exactly one hang fire using BH and that was not the fault of the powder or primer. My fault. I neglected to clean the plug after a pre season session at the range to verify the shots when I switched back to BH from T7 thinking that 10 shots wouldn't foul the plug out, but.... I have never had one single instance while hunting of having a second load be hard to load when using BH. In all the years I've shot it I have never had a rust issue at the end of the season. I cannot say that with ANY of the other powders. So, saying that, I can also say that for me my trust, my confidence, falls squarely on BH and that allows me to be consistent. That's the gold, folks.

For years have adhered to a motto an old timer told me. He said, " I have no one to impress but myself". I live by that. I don't care what other people want to shoot or what components they use. Like 45-70 said, I too am not collecting guns to not shoot. And I am not one to "settle" on a lesser powder product than that which I have a great deal of confidence in, especially in the deer woods: regardless of cost. Its the deer woods, in my life, that is the essence of why I shoot in the first place. As I read some of these blackhorn threads and all the pissing and moaning about the price of the stuff, I wonder just how many posters actually take a serious look at how much they pay for everything else they enjoy today, as compared to pre-covid costs Everything has gone sky high. As I have said before, the top of the powder pile is owned by BH and T7 granular. They've both gone up in price. If neither of these fit your budget, keep search for something that does and that provides you with the confidence you need to shoot effectively. All powders, including BH, have drawbacks. BH needs a hot primer and those can be hard to find at time. T7 has a crud ring when used with primers or hot caps plus its more corrosive than BH. Some have tried the Shooters World sub and like it, but I have no experience with it so I have no idea what, if any drawbacks there may be with it, but it is reported to be quite affordable. Maybe that's an answer for some of you. If you want to enjoy this sport, find a powder that lets you shoot often and that affords you consistency to achieve decent accuracy. This will bring you confidence. And it doesn't get any better than shooting confidently. Don't worry about what Joe Blow says this sucks or how Mr. X says that this is the best of the best: you, your gun and your components are, or should be, sole focus of your shooting. It takes time, it takes some investment, but in the end if you've been persistent and focused, you'll land smack on top of confident, trust me. And there's no other place like it.
I agree with just about everything you said…except pre covid..pre is more like it..!

It’s really an individual choice. I’m not paying it. There was no excuse for the price increase & the size decrease. It’s true that none of the other Powders are quite as good, but we hunted for years before there was Blackhorn 209 and we did just fine. Hodgdon has chosen to just flat out screw people because they can. If you don’t mind spending that money, have at it. Fortunately, we can use Rifles here now so I’m not using my muzzleloaders, but if I do once my BH is gone, I will probably go to T73F Unless another affordable replacement becomes available. You

Greg

I agree with just about everything you said…except pre covid..pre Branden is more like it..!
No, its pre-covid and that's why I stated it as such. Leave the political bent out of it thank you.

GregK has summed it up pretty much as being a Hodgdon fleecing issue. Actually, I think that what Hodgdon has is a monopoly on the sub powders, knows it, and feels it can do pretty much with pricing that it wants. Every sub that the company owns rights to has been around for years and has been proven in many different ways. While BH is at the top of the pile as far as being shooter friendly and top performer, only it has seen the price gouging. As soon as people revert to the older subs under Hodgdon's thumb, they'll see those prices go up too.

I've started to see T7 granular in a couple places inching upward already. I'm going to grab another couple jugs of fffg and call it enough for the rest of my shooting years. I've already got plenty of BH in the larger jugs. Right now I'd just say to keep an eye on your preferred powder's prices and if you see it move up, go do some powder shopping since it won't all go up universally everywhere. Since I entered the smokeless arena, I am not very concerned about what the subs do anymore. Hunting with my Optima pistol 50% of the season means I maybe burn up 450 grains of BH powder a season.... 5 shots. The other 50% will be smokeless hunting and I am not concerned about powder consumption.

Politics hasn't created this problem.... corporate greed has.

No, its pre-covid and that's why I stated it as such. Leave the political bent out of it thank you.

GregK has summed it up pretty much as being a Hodgdon fleecing issue. Actually, I think that what Hodgdon has is a monopoly on the sub powders, knows it, and feels it can do pretty much with pricing that it wants. Every sub that the company owns rights to has been around for years and has been proven in many different ways. While BH is at the top of the pile as far as being shooter friendly and top performer, only it has seen the price gouging. As soon as people revert to the older subs under Hodgdon's thumb, they'll see those prices go up too.

I've started to see T7 granular in a couple places inching upward already. I'm going to grab another couple jugs of fffg and call it enough for the rest of my shooting years. I've already got plenty of BH in the larger jugs. Right now I'd just say to keep an eye on your preferred powder's prices and if you see it move up, go do some powder shopping since it won't all go up universally everywhere. Since I entered the smokeless arena, I am not very concerned about what the subs do anymore. Hunting with my Optima pistol 50% of the season means I maybe burn up 450 grains of BH powder a season.... 5 shots. The other 50% will be smokeless hunting and I am not concerned about powder consumption.

Politics hasn't created this problem.... corporate greed has.
I’d say both…! Thanks for the reply…

When I used to test & do load development for companies wanting to get into ML bullet manufacturing they sent product for free (LOTS) I supplied my own BH209 ($130.00/5lb container) primers & sabots if needed & I would burn up around fifteen 10oz cans at the range spring through fall. My local Bass Pro is $90/8oz
Can’t imagine spending that now!!

Greg
You are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to do all that shooting & get BH 209 at that price. I could kick myself for not getting a bunch of 5lb jugs at 234.00 when I had the chance in late 2019/early 2020 before they went extinct.

Back