Blown Sabot ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOdeer

Reaction score
I got a chance to shoot one of my MLs yesterday for a while. I was shooting 200 grain XTP 10mm in a blue Harvester sabot, with 90 grains of 777 ffg. I had shots all over the place at 100 yards, normally not what this rifle is capable of. I picked up 13 sabots, 4 of which had petals sheared off, and 4 more with the petals intact, but folded as far back as they would go. My question is, would this be the answer for my innaccuracy issues? I'm thinking of getting the tan MMPs, are they any stronger? At the end I put 85 grains in there, shot 3 for the record. 2 were within 1 inch of each other, the third was 5 inches high of the other 2. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

The tan mmp sabot is a stronger sabot imo. Your sabot results have nothing to do with your accuracy issues. I would start with the basics first. Check bases rings scope etc. Work your loads up starting at 80grns by volume of 777. If you cant get two shots good, three wont make it any better. If no luck, change your sabot and see what happens. What kind of 45cal Muzzleloader are you shooting?

200grn .40 XTP--Blue Harvester Sabot--90 grns. 777ff

Are you saying that your gun has shot this load well in the past and now it does not? Or are you saying that your gun has shot other, different loads well in the past, but apparently does not like this one?

If it is the latter, that's how it goes sometimes. I had a .45 Apex that loved 180 grn XTP's and 200 grn SST's, but did not like the 200 grn XTP's regardless of what sabot I tried...

Blown Sabot -- OR..............

Have read a few posts on this forum of others with "good guns that went bad" -- in most cases, it was traced to a build-up of plastic fouling in the bore that is tough to see and even tougher to remove.

Do a search on "plastic fouling" and you should see some tips that will help you clean up the bore AND restore the accuracy.

Good luck, and tight groups.

Old No7

Your results have mirrored mine with the .40/.50 MMP blue sabots and 200 gn Hornady XTPs. 2 good shots and then a flier. For some reason, I do not have this trouble with the SWs. I know others have had success with them though.

As to whether the sabot was blown, no I believe the petals are designed to be sheared while shooting. If the cup that takes the fire from the powder charge was deformed ( getting squared off instead of being round and flared) then you would be stressing the sabot to the point of failure.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've checked the scope and mounts, they are tight. I also scrubbed the bore with a brass brush, to clear any plastic fouling out. This load has been successfully shot in this rifle before. I have not had this rifle out for 3 years, since I bought another one. Now I'm trying to get this one back up and running for my dad to use next ML season. The sabot bases are fine, round and no burn marks, just the petals sheared off. I'm wisely going to follow what Grouse has suggested, start at 80 grains and work up again. If my brother wants to go bowhunting this PM, I'll get a chance to shoot again today. Hopefully, I can post some positive results. Thanks to you all again for the suggestions.

Back